got a 1985 toyota celica gt that won't strart. the starter has been checked and its fine.what do I check next?

Asked by Dec 18, 2014 at 09:57 AM about the Toyota Celica

This starter cranks the engine? This means you have cranks but wont start, is that correct? The spark must be verified, the fuel availability, pressure, and delivery follow if spark is present. for what and where to direct your attention.

Spark, fuel, compression, timing, You need all 4. If it wont run, you have an issue with those 4 or the way you are getting them needs deeper testing.

Yep .... Just like Danny said. First to confirm your "no start" do you mean " the engine turns over but does not run " Or do you mean " when you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the start position nothing happens" I am going to guess and assume the the does not turn over when the key is in the start position. This could be several things a good start was testing the battery. The next step would be to confirm all your connections. The positive lead to the starter and the negative lead to the engine or chassis ground. Once you have confirmed all the connections are good and the condition of the wires are good as well. look at the fuse box to see if any fuses are blown if they are they blew for a reason and that will need to be addressed. If all of these items are good check the connections again at the starter again. You should have a large battery cable ( positive ) connected to the starter and another wire connected to the starter solenoid. The wire connected to the solenoid is what makes the starter engage and start the engine. you can disconnect this wire and connect a test light to it with the other end attached to the negative side of the battery. when you turn the ignition key to the start position the test light should light up. if it does you have confirmed the circuit is working. Next I would see if the engine will turn over by hand. Get a socket and a breaker bar or ratchet that will fit the crankshaft pulleys center bolt attempt to rotate the engine by hand listen for any noise the starter may have been stuck. If all your electrical circuits are good and the engine will turn over by hand remove the starter and have it tested. I hope this helps