What are some good ideas for suttle engine up grades?

25

Asked by May 07, 2010 at 08:35 PM about the Toyota Celica

I'm looking to up grade my car's performance but I'm not a rice burner kinda guy.  Just something that will increase the engines pick up and reinforce my gears and gaskets.  Nothing fancy or over priced, I'm not looking for a show car, just a life long partner to take care of....

25

Shit man, I may as well buy a supra, whatcha think? I just think those upgrades are rediculous, I've been there done that and it just trashed the value of my ride...

55

yeah pretty much the only celica with power is the GT-4 AWD but not sold in the us not sure where you at but if you want power and got cash supra tt 6speed is the way to go

475

change the computer ($1500 and 20 hp or more properly mapped depending on setup - I have seen several cars gain 40 hp at the wheels from proper dynoing.), a hose from your airbox to the front of the car to act like a ram and cold air intake ($100 - around 10 hp gain), you could go a pod filter but then you will get pulled over by cops and defected unless its legal where you are. Exhaust upgrade to 2.5 inch for non turbo and 3 inch for turbo with mandrel bends ($1300 for a proper job with high flow cat and 3 resonators for sound (won't need three if non turbo) - gain of 30 hp), higher flow aftermarket filter and better oil (oil mixed with a stabiliser) ($40 filter, $90 oil about 5 hp gain for filter and 4hp gain for oil). Other than these mods you gonna have to go for larger throttle bodies, turbos, headers, larger plenum etc. You may also be able to flash your stock ecu for some hp not sure about how to do this but have heard of people succeeding and getting around 15 hp extra out of it. Make sure you go to someone reputable if not doing the jobs yourself as I went to court over a 13000 rip off and won because his modifications were awful nearly ruined my car. now its all good because I found a reputable repairer/modifier and i run a 1994 st204 celica with a swapped in 3sgte running 15psi boost. This car has taken on the new nissan skyline gt and won by a bumper so its damn quick but i have been through a lot of the bull that comes with swappping in engines etc.