Tire imbalance light (!) will not go out.

25

Asked by Apr 10, 2008 at 02:21 PM about the Toyota Camry Solara

Tires are correctly inflated. Pressing the sensor reset button does not work. Light did not go
on until Hibdon's rotated the tires this morning. They say they cannot work on the sensor.
Gas station pal says sensors are in all four tires and light will not go out because
tires are not supposed to be rotated. Who is right, and how do I get the ! light to go off?

try checking spair tire pressure.

40,315

Sensor is replaced as a unit, and is not serviced in and of itself. Tires are supposed to be rotated, all the sensor does is relay pressure reading to the ECM through an RF code. It's possible that a sensor was damaged during the tire rotation. I have seen even trained techs break these sensors when they took a tire off of a rim, so maybe in checking the pressure, they somehow broke yours?

175

I know you posted this a while ago, but here's my two cents. I used to have this problem a lot when I'd either get new tires or got my tires rotated. Have you tried resetting the light yet? If not and you don't know how to do this; when sitting in the driver's seat move your left hand down and you'll feel a button. With your key in the ignition, turned to the ON position (the car shouldn't be running according to Toyota) press the button and keep it pressed for maybe 5 seconds. You'll see the light turn off and then it'll blink a few times. After that when you turn on the car, the light should not come on. What this does is it'll let the system re-calibrate the pressure sensor (which is nothing more than a ride height sensor, not a real tire pressure sensor). Toyota reccommends driving on smooth and relatively straight roads (ie. take a route that doesn't involve too much turning) for about 30 miles or so. I used to do this before driving on the highway. Hope that helped. PS. if you have any further questions about your solara, check out www.solaraguy.com everyone there is pretty helpful

75

dunno when this question was posted but anyways..... Tire pressure sensors do get damaged during rotation. Mine was damaged when I got them rotated by America's Discount tire (along with them stripping 3 bolts on 2 wheels.) Get them checked out at the stealership. They cost a lot though.

10

Great advice. Thanks alot. I was tinkering for hours trying to figure that one out and I did just what you said and it worked. Awesome post and advice Solaraguy Rocks thx. JT

Thanks so much. This has been happening with my Solara for several months and I was not resetting it correctly. A mechanic just told me I needed to. Replace the batteries in the tire pressure sensors. I reset it following the directions listed above and it. Has been fine since then. Thanks very much.

105

No TPMS tire sensors in my wife's 2005 Solara. Apparently Uses a ride height sensor in the hub assembly. Or so the tire guy said. I do know it has standard tire stems on this car and not the ' sensor type' short-stiff stems that are on my truck. After rotation on the Solara it takes a few seconds of holding the reset button down while the key is in 'on' position to fully reset. A quick press turns the tire light off only for a short time.