sterio question

75

Asked by Jan 11, 2010 at 05:18 PM about the Audi A6

i was wondering if anyone knows of a modification or anything that audi makes that would allow me to put an audio jack on the stock stereo. i really want to use my ipod and would like the ability to just plug it in. i looked online no luck tho. thanks

the old school way is to get a tape adapter and the new school way is to get a new head unit. you can wire in a jack but the radio may not see the ipod correctly. if you radio plays tapes, then that would the cheapest route with a tape adapter.

125

If you have a Bose stereo, you have to replace the whole unit, head, amps and speakers. Bose units send 1 amp signals to the pre-amps (one for each speaker) and most of the speakers are attached to the amp boards. They also have frequent running changes, so you can't buy standard adapter kits. I have a perfect head unit and 6 speakers I'd sell you real cheap. Two of my three amps were out when I bought my car and I spent $600.00 to get a good stereo system installed. (no giant subs, but a good, Kenwood head unit with CD, USB and Ipod jacks, 6 X Memphis Audio speakers and an extra amp for the two back speakers.) If it's not a Bose system, the dealer can find out which radio you have and retrieve the activation code for you. Most will charge you $75.00 to do that. You can then contact the manufacturer's site to find out what you need to do to add an I-pod jack. If you are lucky enough to still have the original owner's manual for the stereo, you can start there and won't have to pay the dealer for the info. This is a separate booklet from the standard owner's manual. Good luck in your quest.

9,130

You can by auxiliary in adapters that tap into an input like the antenna and plug in to the headphone jack. Just search for "auxiliary input adapter".

45

Old school is the cassette tape adapter. New school is an FM transmitter adapter. This gizmo works on your car, your buddy's car, and home stereos (might need 12-Volt AC adapter for home use ... I have over 4,000 of those if you need one). With the FM adapter, you can go into a party, hide your iPod in another room, and just switch the stereo to FM and tune to your frequency and you've just become the DJ!

515

I would go to an audio shop for advice and installation. Audi, as far as I know, offers no help in modifications to their equipment. There is more to this than just pluging in an Ipod. It may be that you need to upgrade/replace the radio to an after market unit. I use my Ipod using a device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and transmits to an unused FM frequency. I believe there are some that use the cassette player, if you have one or not (not year mentioned on your post). For my older Ipod nano it also recharges the battery. For my new Ipod touch there is no recharging function. Good luck and please drive safely.