2003 passkey 3 Buick Rendezvous no crank no start

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

Asked by Aug 20, 2016 at 02:49 PM about the Buick Rendezvous

03 buick rendezvous had a weak  batery, and parked it for 3 or 4 week, (no i did
not undo the negitive ). Of coures im at a stand sill . I have tried the relearn
procedures and purchashave also bought a good used bcm.any help  would be
appreciated. Thank you .

Best Reards

Put the original BCM back in and a new or fully charged battery. It should start right up. The relearn procedure will not work in your situation. The computer won't forget just because the battery was dead for a few weeks. My '00 Grand Prix, which also has the PASSKEY III system sits from December through March every year with the battery disconnected. I simply hook up the battery in the spring, turn the key, and away it goes. I don't think this is a security system issue unless you were having issues before the battery died. Also, check into the giant GM ignition switch recall. You're Buick may be involved. When you try to crank it, switch on the headlights first. Do the headlights stay nice and bright when you turn the key? If so, it's probably going to be the starter (try tapping on it a few times with a hammer), or the neutral safety switch (try starting it in neutral). If the headlights dim badly, or go out when you try to crank it it's a bad battery or bad battery cable connection. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
Michael Dlugosz Jr.

I apologize hopefully I didn't reply twice. I did starter first and then I put it back on the vehicle and was able to jump it with a screwdriver with the key on I don't know when it would start for a second then shuts right down . I did try to start it in neutral and that didn't work . What is your thought on tracking the passkey 3 security anti-theft wire down in between ignition switch and the neutral position safety switch and jump on it right to the other side of the PCM? Thanks Michael

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

Hope you can understand stand that . I was using talk to text "

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

I'm not sure about jumping the PCM wires. Never done that. By what I've read, you don't have a PASSKEY security system. It's mechanical. I looked up a replacement lock cylinder for your Rendezvous and everything that comes up is "non-transponder key". Meaning it's not a PASSKEY system. Have you checked the large " MAXI" style fuses in the underhood fuse box? There should be a starter relay in there as well. Check that too. Does the starter solenoid click when you try to crank it? HTH. -Jim

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

Jim, thank-you for your response. I had to step away from the project for a day or two. I had to finish some other priorities. Anyway I do not have a clicking noise from the solenoid. But when I Pull the relay and jump it the vehicle will start for two seconds then die. Also I have removed the steering column cover and around the ignition switch there is a thin rectangle box with a hole at the top slipped over the ignition cylinder and it reads pass key lll . The key is labeled (pk3) below the plastic on the key.

You're welcome. Glad to help. I see. So then you do have the PASSKEY system. Hmmmmmmm. Well that box at the ignition switch is the anti- theft module. Unfortunately, if it's bad you'll have to get it replaced at the dealer. They'll have to recalibrate the new module to your vehicle and keys. In the situation of replacing the module the relearn procedure still will not work. The recalibration must be done with a scan tool. HTH. -Jim

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

Okay are you familiar with Solaris Pro Snap-on. I have one, I've only used it to troubleshoot sensors and mess with airflow mixture and regulate the injector pulse. I guess my question is if I got a used one I should be able to reprogram that with that tool

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

Thank-you for your help

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

Jim where you at buddy. I was still picking your brain. I need suggestions. Any one else have and advice

Hmmmmmmm, I'm actually not familiar with that tool at all. Sorry. Did you try putting the original BCM back in? If there's an error code with the security system it should show up on a scan tool. HTH. -Jim

Michael Dlugosz Jr.

I have put it back insane result. I hate to take it to the dealer. I think I will look at the ignition switch. Buy a new one or check for a recall . Then get back to you . Before u buy a new pk3 modules. thanks