Why is my Reatta shuddering?

10

Asked by Jun 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM about the Buick Reatta

My 1988 Buick Reatta will run good, then start shuddering as if it's not getting any gas.  Then it will run okay, if you put it in second and cruise control this does not happen.   I'm clueless.........help please!

10

My Reatta "shuddered" and it was intermittant. I finally took it to the mechanic. Turns out, 2 of the six fuel injectors were bad, so I had it fixed. Now it runs great!

8,655

injectors can be checked by touching a screw driver to it and hearing the clicking when your ear is on the screwdriver.

8,655

also check the ignition module to make sure all cylinders are firing.

10

Thanks Jason, will check today

10

Thanks also 89 Reatta!

10

Okay, found a dead fuel injector, thanks to you guys. Now how the heck do you get that clip off? Do you just push it in and pry it off? I'm afraid I'll break something

8,655

depressurize the rail.. take off the fuse to the fuel pump.. crank engine a short time.. loosen up fuel line bolt to the rail & separate.. take off four bolts to rail assembly.. carefully slide out rail (slowly working odd & even banks off) with ALL fuel injectors on it.. now you can unhook wiring and take off the clip to the bad injector.. take time to carefully work on it. ...i think that covers it; been awhile since i had one go bad. good luck.

10

Okay, got everything off, had new injector in hand.............parts store gave me wrong one :( Had to order different one. Will keep you posted, keep fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it!

8,655

madness!! do you have a Napa autoparts store around?

8,655

and your welcome! :)

10

Finally got new one, put it in.............poop, still stuttering. How do I tell if the ignition module is working correctly? I'm sorry I'm not used to doing this kind of work, been a while since I wrenched on a car

10

Heck with it, am taking it to a mechanic. It beat me :(

10

Just to let you know, got my reatta back from the mechanics. It was the engine control module on the 3.8 engines, for some reason they turn off the #1 fuel injector..........got a new (refurbished) one & my car is purring like a kitten. Only $222.01 too, boy if I knew it was gonna be that cheap I wouldn't have wrenched on it, but did learn some things along the way. Thanks guys!