the abs system in my 1989 is locked up is there a way to disable it

Asked by Apr 29, 2012 at 09:05 PM about the Buick Reatta

1,875

You could bypass the brake lines.

355

Locked up as in it won't move?

simas the obd in the car is showing low break pressure tonythewoodsman could you help me out and tell me how to do that

1,875

As old as the car is, it's probably not worth spending a lot of money fixing the abs. To fix it as original, you would take the car to the GM dealer to repair it. If it was my car I would check the brake lines for leaks, bypass the abs unit,bleed the wheel cylinders and see how the brakes work. If you have low brake pressure, you might then have to replace the master cylinder, then bleed all the wheel cylinders.

355

is there any brake fluid leaking or on the wheels?

Simas no there is not it tried to bleed the back wheels and nothing came out TonytheWoodsman how do i bypass the abs system i checked the lines and found no visible leaks

1,875

Check to see if the brake line that goes to the rear brakes can be disconnected up in the engine compartment, and have an assistant push on the brake pedal, to see if brake fluid is flowing. If you can't get fluid from the master cylinder, it might be a bad master cylinder.

355

Yeah either the master cylinder or faulty lines ...

Simas i forgot to mention the brake pedal is locked in the down position which means brake pressure is low the front brakes barely have enough to try and stop

1,875

See if you can get a rebuilt master cylinder, you might try advance auto parts on line. they usually have a discount and you can still pick up the part at the advance store.

355

try hitting the brake pedal with your foot as if you were using it to stop and it might come up..... and btw you need to change the master cylinder and your golden

355

im presuming you are in the US so i can't help you get a price really..... i own a garage myself in europe so prices are much different especially since you have a buick :D none of those here at all