Dear Buick help desk,Our family recently purchased a 1989 buick reatta. our son accidently broke the only ignition key. What should we do? Nancy and family.

35

Asked by Jan 12, 2008 at 08:37 PM about the Buick Reatta

Dear Buick help desk,
our family recently purchased a 1989 buick reatta to fix up. Our son accidently broke the only ignition key. What should we do?

call your local locksmith tell them what happended and they will come to your house and fix it.may be a little costley.

6,885

does you reatta's ignition key have the chip in it? if it does you are going to have to go to the dealer for the model code your key is. if the key is broke in the ignition you are going to have to get it out (kind of straight forward huh?) As Papa says a locksmith might work, but if you have the chip in your key you might want to tow it to the dealer so they can take it out and cut a new "chipped" key all at once. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

agreed,but one thing i know the 89 dose not have the computer chip in key.

42,935

The 1989 Reattas had a PASS-key system which had a small black resistor chip in the key itself. The PASSkey system does require special cutting, but not programming. If you can get the key out of the ignition, some key cutters are good enough to clamp it and cut a new key off the broken one (I used to do this for folks!). If the key is too badly damaged, they won't be able to do this. Dealership should have record of the original key pattern that can be accessed using your VIN number. If so they can cut you a new key there. Other option is to remove the ignition switch and replace it, the new one should come with at least two keys.