%21986 Buick Century with 36000 miles dies when it is warmed up and you stop at a stop light or sign. I have had the carb rebuilt a new throttle position sensor and replaced the computer

Asked by Oct 14, 2012 at 06:45 PM about the Buick Century

6,955

is the check engine light on? if so.. get codes first. secondly, how does it sound on idle?

no and no codes it dies when you try to take off and it sounds ok

6,955

changed the fuel filter??

Done that when the carb was rebuit

33,375

Huh a carburetor with a throttle position sensor? I'm baffled

6,955

i'm wondering if the fuel rail pressure is 35psi.. if not, it may be the fuel pressure regulator. at this point, i'm starting to get baffled too.

33,375

What type of fuel injection is on this vehicle? The only thing that looks like it has a Carb on it is the TBI.

8,655

the 8th digit on your vin can only be, (if i remember correctly, an: R,X, or 3, meaning 2.5,2.8 or 3.8 am i correct???? not sure who the mechanic is, perhaps a vacuum line is leaking or pinched, (have them do a "smoke test", your car creates the most vacuum at idle, then when rpms increase vacuum (i know the pressures just not at 7:30, a.m.), and if the engine computer isn't getting the signal to increase the AIR, as well as fuel, then off, you say when warm...can you accelerate all you wish while cold with no issues?

8,655

also what makes me think it is a leak/clog is the age and so few miles, mice probably chewed the crap out of it....

I think it is a cloged circiut in the carb after talking with my father-in-law. He bought the car for a dollar when he got it the carb was sitting on a shelf in pieces the first mechanic put it together with out a filter in it(this guy has a radio talk show like he is a ace mechanic)and the bottom bolts was finger tight. So it was taken to a second mechanic to have the carb rebuilt but I just wonder if it still has a pluged circuit but i will look for a vacum leak too.

33,375

Who replaced the throttle position sensor and was it the same guy that rebuilt the Carb????

yes

33,375

The throttle position sensor is to tell the vehicle when to shift and approximately how much fuel to add. If your car is carbureted it DOES NOT have a throttle position sensor.

Drop the fuel tank and clean out the old gas and replace the screen on the inside of the tank , you have a build up of old fuel in the tank and a build up of stale fuel that turns into a sticky gum clogging the fuel screen, this happens when a car sates for a long time.