Problem with my 2001 Isuzu Trooper

Asked by William Mar 03, 2016 at 10:40 AM about the Isuzu Trooper II

I have an automatic transmissions 2001 Isuzu Trooper that I was driving an
for a reason I can no explain I shift gear form D to 2 just before passing a
stop bumper, and as soon I pass the stop bumper the rpm of the engine
when crazily and looks like the engine was about to stop so i shift from 2 to
D and the transmission did not shift, like it was stack in 1, I turn the engine
off and after few minutes I turn the engine on and it start working fine but
after few minutes, the same problem come back,please help.

290,515

Check the codes, your looking for either solenoid or TCC control malfunction, I had an Acura SLX that would on occasion stick in second gear, it was a shift solenoid so I just replaced them all and no more problem. Hopefully you have serviced the trans regularly and won't have a varnish build up as that can cause problems down the road, if you do have a varnish problem add a quart of TransX in the fluid during the refill and hopefully it will clean it up slowly so the passages won't be plugged up by a piece of varnish coming loose.

79,755

It's time to retire your vehicle.

79,755

You realize that they don't even make cars anymore. Parts for these vehicles will most certainly become harder to find.

79,755

http://m.caranddriver.com/news/isuzu-to-leave-us-market-car-news

290,515

The Acura I spoke of was a 96 and believe it or not I was still able to get parts from the dealer if they weren't available from aftermarket, Acura rebadged the trooper an SLX back then, so his is an 01 I'm sure parts will be out there for a long time.

79,755

tennisshoes- OK, maybe parts are not an issue, but, the 2001 is 15 years old, and does not have vehicle stability control and other safety features of newer vehicles. Not to mention that it's an orphaned vehicle and not that many mechanics have the knowledge to work on them. I wonder how many miles are on this vehicle? Look, maybe, it's just me, but, vehicles older than 15 years old are on borrowed time. Don't tell me that they didn't get their money's worth?

290,515

See now that's the problem with this throw away society, I know that if I hadn't wrecked my first new car that I bought I would still have today, it fit my needs back then and still would even today even though it would be old and out dated. Just out of curiosity I checked to see if parts were still attainable and they were even body parts that would be over 43 years old. Even my old 77 Chrysler that I recently sold was still running great and most any parts store had or could get parts overnight, so just cause it's old don't assume it is on it's last leg.

79,755

tennisshoes- take a look at this video below, I'm sorry, but, later model cars are really much safer, look, it's about technology, fuel economy, safety, etc. Your choice. I'm not a fan of a throw away society either, but, safely is number ONE. http://speedsociety.com/1959-chevrolet-bel-air-vs-2009-chevrolet- malibu-crash-test/

290,515

Your right newer cars are safer, but look at what we have to pay for that safety, the high tech garbage that they are forcing down or throats, every year something new is added, even if it is not even needed or wanted you get it. I can't believe that they would actually wreck a 59 just to prove a point that everyone already knows, what a waste, shame shame shame.

79,755

tennisshoes- you know what they say, one man's treasure is another man's garbage. What price do you put on safety and security? The answer is PRICELESS. Yes, they had to destroy the 59 Chevy to prove a point and a lot of people, including me, were surprised by this video. It's a teaching moment. So, when you see stuff like this, it demonstrates how the price of a newer car really has merit. It's like this with people who are workaholics. There's no point in being the richest person in Forrest Lawn cemetery and there's no reason to put yourself at risk in any car that's UNSAFE. You only need one good safe car. Save the old cars for a Sunday drive or show, but, it's much more practical to have a very safe and secure "daily driver".

290,515

I can't argue that point cause my wife was saved by this airbag tech. So this trooper is still in the safe category, with ABS, Air bags, and snow setting for the transmission, so it is still worth fixing.

80

Had similar problems 4-5 years ago. Try replacing the Transmission Mode Switch. Worked for me.

10

I like the comment from the person above that they don't make cars anymore. This is hilarious. GM has relied on Isuzu for more than 50 years to supply parts and entire vehicles that they are not good at making. This continues through today. Many of the box trucks you see everywhere are GMC or Chevy logo's as well as the mid sized pick up trucks and SUVs that are Isuzu not to mention most of GMs foreign market are re-badged Isuzu. The other comment about it's time to retire your vehicle fits perfectly into our disposable world. Knowledge is power empower yourselves and stop being perfect consumers.

I have a 2001 isuzu trooper that needs a knock sensor but the sensor is a coil of wire. Wear can I find one . Please help