Clutch pedal ('88 300zx) won't come off floor but clutch itself work just fine and shifts as normal

70

Asked by Jan 13, 2015 at 05:02 AM about the Nissan 300ZX

Clutch engages and disengages as normal and pedal action 'feels' normal while the pedal is in the 'engage-disengage' zone.
However, there is no resistance whatsoever between the 'free play' zone and where it first disengages---and the pedal will only pop back up into said ' free play' zone if I pull it with my toe.

The return assist spring is intact, installed properly (near as I can tell) and seems strong. The bracket hadn't been touched/altered (AFAIK) before this started but I have re-greased all moving parts in the pedal assembly and through the firewall just in case---with no change.

Is this a slave or master cylinder issue?
I concluded it wasn't since the clutch otherwise works just fine and all fluid levels are staying topped up.
Or am I dead wrong?

What else should I look for?

One last clue (just noticed today):
The pedal does snap back to top all by itself now and then if the heater is on long enough (we're in a cold climate up here in Canada) but I still cannot generate any resistance between the 'free play' zone and 'point of disengagement' no matter how many times I pump the pedal.

70

Turns out there was a small leak/crack in the slave cylinder....which resulted in a small bubble of air which, in turn, affected the flow return valve(?). I replaced the slave cylinder, bled the lines and all is back to normal.