my car will only shift into gear when car is off

70

Asked by Jun 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM about the Nissan 300ZX

I have a 1988 nissan 300zx turbo with a manual transmission. It was driving fine until I had it
sitting for a few months. Now when I turn the car on it will not shift from neutral into any
gear unless the car is off. When I put the car into gear and start it, it will not shift out of any
gear. I was told it may be something to do with the flywheel or maybe not disengaging? Any
help would be greatly appreciated!

195

Sounds like a bad clutch. It won't shift out of gear because the clutch will not disengage the trans from the engine to allow for the changing of gears. I won't make any promises on it being the clutch, but it'll be a good place to start.

19,535

if you put it in gear and start it does it move? Is the shifter not moving into any gear or does the shifter move but nothing happen? Any grinding? when? How does the clutch pedal feel?

70

Yes the car does move a little when its started in gear. It will only go in and out of gear when the car is off. If I try to switch gears while the car is on it doesn't want to move. The clutch pedal doesn't have much of a spring to it either.

19,535

Failed clutch system. Pretty sure u have a hydrolic clutch. Check clutch fluid and top off if needed. Check for leaks. Clutch Master cylinder or slave cylinder may be leaking.

i have the same problem i was driving my car everything was fine and i was on the free way and it stoped running i tryed to accurate but it just idled i come to a complete stop. turned of the car then turned it back on and but it into gear and it wouldnt move itz a honda prelude vtech engine

19,535

Same deal, check the cluch fluid, if it ran out then you have a leak somewhere most likely at the master cylinder or slave cylinder.

25

Check your Slave cylinder might be bad.

High humidity locales can cause the clutch disc the rust to the fly wheel which can give similar symptoms the other gents sound very close to the mark,slave ,and or master failure.

20

we're on the same page have a 24k 2003 Honda accord and the car starts without having to press down on the clutch, on would only go into gear when its off

70

i have 2015 wrx, i was driving normally whole day, then i was going into work, i stopped at the stop light put it in neutral and once i tried to go into first gear i felt some resistance. now my car won't into any gear even reverse. but when my car is off it goes into gear fine. only different that i have done to the car is that, previous day i installed cold air intake and cobb access port with stage 1 tune. any ideas ?