is it possible to install a centrifugal supercharger on a first generation 300zx non-turbo?

445

Asked by Jul 02, 2010 at 07:55 PM about the Nissan 300ZX

I figured that if you removed the air-conditioner unit out and install the supercharger in its place, it would make sense since its mount on the top portion of the engine, right in front of the throttle body...Is this possible? What parts should I get to do this set-up since theirs no aftermarket kit?

65

I would suggest you look into the VG33ER. For starters, Nissan used the VG series motor (SOHC) for 20 ish years. It wasn't till round about the turn of the century they decided to boost the performance (mainly torque) of the motor. Thus introducing the VG33 (SOHC) engine. The Motors are identical in design. Everything bolts right up to the block. The only difference is piston bore size. Enough to make it into a 3.3L anyways. and a minor difference on the snout of the crankshaft which can be easily remedied. Some of the SUV/ Trucks that were quipped with this beast of an engine had factory supercharged option. It generated roughly 210hp. Im not 100% savvy on the limits or thresholds of the factory supercharger as I am a Turbo guy. It has been in my experience that the extra 10% displacement provides gobs of extra torque. Besides, if u pick the right turbo, you can damn near eliminate turbo lag. Being the the blocks are identical, I foresee no issues if u wanted to supercharge the 3.0L with the factory supercharger. I had two customers once. -One had a VG30 with a raised compression ratio to 9.0:1 and turbocharged. He also had wide open exhaust off the downpipe. -My other customer had a VG33 (8.9:1 comp from factory) that we turbocharged and had a proper 3" exhaust system. Both were non intercooled but had similar mods with the exception of the Engine Blocks. Come Dyno Day: The 1st guy (vg30) put down 214wrhp and 243ft lb Tq The 2nd guy (vg33) put down 217rwhp and 288ft lb Tq ideally if someone is gonna build up a car, i'd recommend starting with the block. That extra 10% displacement improves performance results across the board to virtually every major mod you perform. Other than that, Nissan manufactured several other models that used the 3.0 SOHC V6. and b/c they were mostly front wheel drive vehicles (maxima, stanza, gloria, pathfinder,frontier, etc...) they fab'd up some different intake manifolds, that in some cases breathe better than the factory 300ZX plenum did, and relocate the throttle body to potentially more convenient locations. These manifolds literally bolt right up. Its also beneficial to those who don't necessarily want to do away with Air Conditioning. Make sure u have a source for custom fabrication. Each of the mods requires it and although its usually Minor, it becomes a requirement when u start tweaking stuff for performance.

65

clarification The dyno comparisons mentioned both used the factory Nissan T3 turbocharger pathfinder and frontier vehicles are obviously rear wheel / 4wheel drive. Their intakes have long runners that provide more torque. There will be hood clearance issues with this manifold tho. http://z31.com/mods/pathy.shtml