how much does a 240 engine swap cost (rb25det)

20

Asked by Sep 09, 2009 at 11:49 PM about the Nissan 240SX

i planning on buying a 240sx s14 and wondering if any one knew what kinda money i would be looking at for an engine swap with an rb25det (all the parts and brackets including the engine)

Matt Neyedly

15

You can try and source out getting a full front clip from a r33. You can use the r33 cross member to mount the engine in the 240

15

lol you wanted to know price sorry. Sometimes if you look long enought you might be able to find a front clip for like $1500 but expect to pay like $2000- $3000 for a complete front clip

75

I own and have personally built my s2 rb25det powered 91 hatch, and can personally tell you going with a clip is your best bet. I bought my motor, tranny, wire harness seperate and it turned out to be a big pain. The wire harness was jacked up etc, sensors broken. Plus I had to by a r33 cross member seperate. To make a long story short I highly suggest getting a front clip, not only do you get the motor of course but you get other assential parts you need lfor a fraction of the cost like a radiator intercooler etc for example. All you would need is a drive shaft and engine mount kit ( syko performace Best mount kit on the market!) which are Both sold at phase2motortrend.Com if you take the long route like I did this swap can run you 8k plus. If you the clip plus drive shaft and wiring it should total around 5k+ if you do the swap your self like I did. I highly suggest also you check out drifting.com they have a step by step instructional DVD on how to perform a rb25det swap. I found it very helpful!

15

Why RB? Cuz its a "Skyline" power plant?? IMHO - Screw that. If I had the means, I'd buy two LS or 2JZ motors and trannys RIGHT NOW! Honestly, I haven't been that impressed with the RB's Ive seen around the pro-am drift circuits. (from a performance stand point) Besides, you'll save ~100lbs in weight switching from a KA24DE (cast iron) to a LS1 (aluminum) power plant, and who doesn't like cutting weight?

10

Rb's are good engines. But parts and upgrades are rather pricey. and as for doing a v8 swap, leave that crap to a domestic. If you're going to drag race, that's fine a dandy. But, that isn't mything personally. I know a bunch of people that have done, sr's KA-T's and even a few 200 horse NA Ka's. I suppose it depends on your taste. Anyway I've seen rb swapped s14's go for at least 10k.

495

I looked a lot at engine swapping / or NA-T conversion with the 240sx or a lexus sc300/gs300 but my heart was set on a getrag 6 speed. (ended up with a 540i 6spd to pass the "family sedan test".) I agree about the 2jz swap though. The rb25/rb26 are both _excellent_ power plants that will handle a ton of boost, but the engine was never sold here, and if you are ever stuck somewhere needing parts, you are likely waiting for them to come in the mail. 2jz swap, replace ceramic turbos FTW. Lots of options domestically for repair & upgrade. It is an expensive swap though...

So did you ever do the swap?