I have '77 CJ-7 with 304 V-8. It has a Eldebrock carb. My problem is engine suddenly cuts off when either driving or idling. Hard to crank back, but when it does usually don't have that problem again...that day. I replaced coil and inline fuel filter but still cuts off.

Asked by Sep 13, 2015 at 09:38 AM about the Jeep CJ

56,775

If you have an electric fuel pump, check the electrical connections for it. Make sure they're all clean and tight. Run a bottle of STP Carburetor cleaner through the fuel system at your next fill up. You might have a sticking float in the carburetor. I've had good luck with STP products over the years. HTH. -Jim

1,255

Hard to crank back. a slow crank like weak battery or timing off?

Runs really good when running. Jeep is a weekend vehicle. Battery and cranking effort is strongstrong. I really have to pump accelerator and turn over engine excessively for it to crank back up.... after it cuts off. Rough idle at first, then it smooths out.

1,255

i would think fuel pump maybe it is losing prime

1,255

any good