Help I've got an oil leak and now my engine won't start. Whats wrong with my car?

25

Asked by Jul 06, 2011 at 08:52 AM about the Mazda RX-8

I had an oil leak located at the bottom left hand side of my car for about 2 weeks. I carried on driving it for a few days before I was scheduled to take it to my mechanic and the day I was going to get it fixed it didn't start. I have tried charging the battery but it still makes the same starting noise (It's kind of like a dragged out long crank from loud to queit). It's at 53, 000 the emissions are really bad on it. I was waiting to get a service and MOT in September.

Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thank you for looking!!

395

The engine might have seized up. The rx8's rotary engine literally sprays oil onto the walls of the chamber. It lubricated but also keeps the engine from warping like it appears it could have here. Next time you have an oil leak in a car where oil is vital like that, do not drive it and let it sit. An rx8 and a Pontiac g8 have 2 completely different engines. Only thing to do is have it towed to the mechanic and hope I'm wrong.

25

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Even though there was a leak I did keep on topping up the oil, does it still make the engine seize up? I only noticed it when I had to keep on filling up after 2 days at a time. I think I filled up 3 times over a week and then I didn't drive it the day before I was meant to take it to my mechanic and when I tried to start it I couldn't. I'm waiting for a mechanic to come round on saturday.....hope it isn't a big problem and cost me loads to fix :(

395

No problem, I actually am not there with the car to diagnose the problem. But now that you have a mechanic to help, he should make things much clearer. It literally could be anything dont go searching online for a solution and get yourself in a panic. Just let the mechanic do his thing.

25

I know I shouldn't read too much stuff on the net!! It could be anything so I'll wait till the mechanic comes on saturday!! Thank you again for your reply have a nice day!!

75

Same issue happened to the 2005 RX8 I bought for my kid. We didn't know much about the car until then when I search the net. Apparently this is very common especially @ 40-60K, ours went out @ 44K. No warning, no leak just won't start one day when my son get of from class and tries to drive home. Had to tow it to Mazda dealer. They replaced the engine for FREE!! You need to check to be sure if that's the same problem, because as I understands it Mazda "upgraded" the warranty to 5 years or 100K. The advise from mechanic was to ensure engine has the proper warm up time especially if you are living in the cold country to allow some burn-off of any excessive gas/oil. Good luck.

25

The engine flooded.....my mechanics got it starting for me!!!! The next problem is the oil leak which is coming from the oil cooling pipe (which should of been recalled) and the started (which also should of been recalled) but Mazda told me they did not know anything about any recalls for RX8........BIG LIE because my mechanic used to work for Mazda for 6 years before....when i told mazda they said I would have to pay for the recall the oil leak pump is £600 and the starter is £400 this is just for the parts................they really tried to wriggle their way out of it. Im going to go their and demand a recall even though I am the 3rd owner of the car and I brought it privately I amd still entitled to the recall as it is a manufacturing fault and if my car had been recalled the leak probably would of never happened.

75

I think you can check Mazda recalls on Mazda site or other sites like www.Edmunds.com

35

The Flooding problem is infact a recall. It will happen again. Mazda dealer should be able to do it for free.

35

also adding two stroke oil (TCW-III) to the gasoline every time you fill up or every other time will benefit your motor in the long run. 1oz per gallon or .5oz per gallon. Mazda reduced the amount of oil to lubricate the seals for emission purposes thus parts can wear out at a faster rate. Same goes for the oil. Mazda decided to go with thinner oil for emission purposes as well, but it causes premature wear on the rear bearing. it is better to use the oil that was recommended for the Rx7s. usually 10w-40 depending on where you live.

25

I took it in for a recall on the oil cooling pipe so that problem is fixed!! Just got other problems with it now :( Seems never ending lol!! Thank you for your reply!! Have a great weekend

Hii guys!! My RX8 2004 also is leaking oil but it starts normal I just don't know what could be the problem, it happened when I start it yesterday:-( can someone help me plss??:-(