Oil Pressure?

Asked by Sep 02, 2009 at 10:28 AM about the Mazda RX-7

Hey guys, I have a RX7 but am noticing a lot of twitchin on the oil pressure gauge, and in some scenarios the pressure drops to 0 when idling, it can go up to 6 or 7kg/cm2 when accelerating. I have noticed this for a few weeks now, but checked the oil regularly and it hasnt lost hardly anything. Could this just be a faulty sender unit? Cheers guys

Exactly that bud - the standard issue / OEM sender / gauge is prone ( after years of use / heat abuse etc etc ) to do a pretty piss poor job! Wouldn't worry too much about it...... I and several other FD owners on FDUK.org/forum have the same issues and that is the general consensus! ;) HTH Phil

regularly top up ur engine oil every once a month . rotaries tend to consume engine oil .

thanks for your replies guys it has put me at rest a bit :)

I have a '85 RX7 with a 12a in it and it does the same thing. My oil pressure stays on zero, but my oil level is fine.

you realize that oil level and oil pressure are completely independent of each other, low oil pressure could be a bad sensor or ground, or it could be a sign that your pump is going out, get a cheap oil pressure gauge from your local parts store and find out for sure.

i have an 89 rx7 an had to replace the oem oil preasure sensor. soi put a new one in and it reads it has perfect oil pressure.