Rebuild

35

Asked by Aug 15, 2008 at 05:27 PM about the Mazda RX-7

The rotor tip seals in my fd3s blown the over day. Although the seals themselves are not expensive fittin them is. Does anyone known a cheeper way or maybe somewhere i could get a new or used 13b engine? Even better a 20b cosmo engine lol I wish

45

hit up rx7club.com they always have engines/parts for sale

45

btw all the FD engines go fairly early compared to other mazdas, going the 13b route is a good idea. or you could always drop in an LS1 haha

try www.Got-Jdm.com they sell a 20b for about 6grand its a lot but its low on mileage

25

http://www.rx7store.net/ http://www.pineappleracing.com/ These are in my opinion 2 of the best stores for anything RX they do 13b 20b and anything else they are the shit. Even just giving them a call to pick their brains can be very helpful

805

I am literally just finishing the rebuild on my 13btt.. i used a lot of the aforementioned websites but i also got help from mark at JHBperformance.com he really knows his stuff.. another good source for parts is www.atkinsrotary.com.. there not always that bright tho when it comes to technical questions.

95

Most of the used engine only give 30 day warranty, so after you install your used engine the warranty is basically gone. I will get a rebuilt engine or a LS1 conversion.

95

http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/ LS 1 conversion kit

get it rebuilt in the long run it will end up costing you less than getting it converted to a 20b (LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN DOING THIS!!!!!!) or putting a ls1 in it (if you have a piston engine in an rx7 you can no longer call yourself an RX7 owner!!!!) getting a replacement engine can be a bit hit and miss, as you have no idea how the engine was treated by its previous owner and it may just blow up agian, which means uve just wasted a lot of money! do it once, do it right!

15

if your apex seals went then theres a chance you will need a new rotor housing, which can get pricey. for prices on parts like that go to- www.atkinsrotary.com www.racingbeat.com www.mazdatrix.com

Just rebuild the engine. It really isn't that difficult at all. I have rebuilt two 13b engines in my home garage. And I would have to agree don't even think about putting a piston engine in the Rx-7, that would be the stupidest thing that you could do.

25

the best place to go if you want to get another engine is www.mazdatrix.com they actually are the only place you can buy a new engine. they also have used if you want one instead.

Hi its labour intensive to rebuild, if your seals went then rotor housings will need to be checked for scoring as they could be out of tolerances. try www.mazdarotaryclub.com and www.fduk.org both good places for parts new and 2nd hand and also alot of RX vendors on there

45

the ls1 swap was a joke guys relax. i love the 13b. if i had the means, i would do an fc 13b swap into my miata.

55

check rx7club.com, under the 3rd gen section, and also under your living area section, and i'm sure you could find someone getting rid of an engine lol