my Mercedes wont turn over and the radio and lights work jut fine so i don't think its the battery. do you have any suggestions

Asked by Sep 23, 2013 at 02:36 PM about the Mercedes-Benz 240

it first started off with my car not going in to gear. i would turn my car off and on and then
it works fine. then my ignition switch was out of the socket , and some how i manged to
pull it back in the hole properly but now a few days after i did its having trouble turning
over. Yesterday i tried starting it and after 3 times it started. Today it just wont do nothing
. i notice blue corrosion on the battery,i brushed it off but it still wont start . please help

265

First run a voltmeter across your battery. If it's not the battery ,it might be that the crank and run position on your ignition switch may be faulty. This is where I would start seeing as how it was "out of the socket".

2,435

Pull our the instrument cluster and take a look at the ignition. The whole ignition is shaped like a capital T, the front is where you put your key, at the rear is the electrical connector and the bit that makes the T shape slots into the steering column and forms the steering lock. This part is held in place with a bolt which clamps the ignition in place. Check that the bolt is still in place and fastened tight. Never in all my time working at an independant Mercedes workshop did I see one just "come loose", but I suppose that theoretically it could be possible that the clamping bolt has come loose and when you've out the key into the ignition its been able to move position which in turn could cause the wiring plug at the back to work It's way loose (this plug is normally removed by turning the key to position 1 and pulling the plug free). So this would be the first place I would check. Hope this helps and good luck.

380

I need assistance as well! My 2003 C240 all of a sudden wont start! The radio and everything works perfectly, but when i place the key in the ignition, it was unlock the wheel nor turn to start! I placed a new battery in the key, but that turns out not to be the problem! Im from Suffolk, VA

2,435

If it's one of those smart keys with the infra-red transmitter that just plugs into the ignition then try re synching the key by literally putting it in the ignition and leaving it there for a couple of minutes (according to a manual i downloaded). If that doesn't work then try disconnecting the car battery for a few minutes, reconnect and try the key again.

590

My c300 2010 benz won't start, I have battery life, radio works, sterimh wheel

590

Steering wheel isn't locked, but it won't make any noise when I turn my key I only have 50,000 miles on it

210

I can't turn my Mercedes Benz CS320 04 car on and I replaced the battery but wen i let it sit for a day it two i have to jump it then it's fine until i let it sit for long

330

My c240 Benz won't turn the ingnition switch over. This is the best third key I purchased this key dtopped on the ground and battry fell out. I put it back in and pushed the unlock and lock button and it worked. But when I put the key into ignition it won't turn over. Please what to do I've tried everything, and nothing seems to work. HELP KEYS COST $$$

My kia Rio keeps jerking i need help please

10

Melissa I would check to see if your seat modules are bad. Unplug the drivers seat and passenger seat and see if that cures your problem. Thats what I had to do. It takes an average of 24-36 hours when the are plugged in to kill my battery.

90

I have a 02 Mercedes S430 and everything works but it won't turn on.