Power steering gone after driving through flood

Asked by Nov 11, 2008 at 08:48 AM about the Mazda Millenia

Hi,
There was a storm a couple nights ago and our roads were flooded.  I noticed right away after driving through a large puddle rather swiftly that my steering wheel got really tough to turn especially when using the brakes.  As I accelerated with the gas however, it loosened up.  A couple days later, this is still the case.  Please help!

680

It may have slipped a belt. Check under the hood and it might be really easy to figure out.

1,115

Check you power Steering Fluid... it might have gotten low for some reason, or possibly gotten water in it. I don't know that it would be a belt if it loosens up under acceleration... and if it was a belt it would likely affect other things ( I know...From experience... on my car, you lose the power steering pump's belt you also lose the Water pump, and the alternator...) Yours was a flood... Mine was a snowstorm...

Id say that you may have knocked the pump on something submerged and either the belt is now just slackened (it wont be broken as mensioned before as it would be very difficult to use the car at all) start from the basics go and lift the bonnet and see if the belt is slack or on contact with debris under the water you have damaged the union nut on the base of the pump knocked it loose maybee causing fluid loss (its fairly high pressure when running and may not leak when engine is off good luck with that

2,300

Check and see if the belt is loose or missing.

795

The water pump runs on the same belt as the P/S Pump on the Millenia so the belts are not slipping or you would be having an overheating problem as well. If you are not leaking any fluid it is possible the pulley on the pump might have come loose or the pump itself is fried.

10

Ok, so the Millenia, also knows as a Eunos 800 in other places, like australia where i am, seems to have this problem alot My power steering on my eunos went completely recently after being intimittent over a period of time. Ive had it at the mechanics and power steering specialists and they have check ABSOLUTELY everything with the system, front and back racks, pump, speed sensor, eliptical sensor, computer, and yet have still not been able to find the solution When they contacted Mazda, they simply wanted nothing to do with it, and werent even able to devulge any information on the subject that could possibly help in anyway at all So best of luck to you if the problem isnt fixed yet

10

After 4 years now i have to have the same problem. The first time was experiencing going through water on the road and after that the power steering completely jammed. It never happens before and since then nowadays the problem seem to persist whenever driving in rainy days. I wanted to bring it to the mechanic but i am afraid they will fix nothing as they always do and wasted my money. I posted my experience on my blog if anyone have a clue please give me some tips so i can send to the mechanic and tell them to fix exactly that. http://howtodosteps.blogspot.com/2015/01/perodua-alza-power- steering-jammed.html