fuel cut

Hector Molina

Asked by Apr 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM about the Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege

Hey any one know how to take the fuel cut in the MSP?

Chase Sutherland

by fuel cut what exactly do you mean?

Hector Molina

well i have a fuel cut in my msp.. i can't increse the boost no more then 9 ps and

Ivan Aviles

Fuel Cut is when the ECU detects an abnormal increase of boost, usually anywhere from 10 and above the engine cuts your fuel to bring the psi down so no damage would be done to the engine. The best way to get rid of it is to buy a fuel-cut defender. Ebay search it or go to any perfomance shops and look for one, most cars that are stock turbo have it, mostly. Greddy has a fuel cut defender and JoeP makes em to. Google it if everything else fails.

Chase Sutherland

doesnt it do something similar when the turbo is too cold or something?

Ivan Aviles

No. Its all on the Psi. If you have an aftermarket intercooler and the air outside is really cold, more air is gonna go to the engine through the intake manifold, this raises your psi by a little usually like maybe one or 2, the ecu will detect this increase in air pressure and disengage the fuel line. Same effect but different circumstances. Its all in the amount of air pressure being calculated in the ecu.

Chase Sutherland

ah ok. i was curious because i live in wisconsin and my gfs msp would never get full boost in the winter time. it was all stock too. so i was jsut wondering what that was all about. car would only get to about 4k rpms until it would kick it back down

Ivan Aviles

Everytime the Fuel-Cut kicks in its like hitting a brick wall, the engine just stops its ridiculous and dangerous sometimes. I bought my fuel-cut. Its great. My MSP has about 229whp right now, dynoyed. I upgraded the turbo, intercooler, and Intake. Its a GT28RS. so far its only at 5 psi cause i had to change the wastegate and my MPC broke, I have an Electric one but i havent installed it yet. Check it out at the Photo Albums on the club.

Ivan Aviles

Btw the MSP ECU has a very bad habbit after about 4K RPM's the ecu would drench the engine with gasoline..literally drench it so that might also be a reason and also its normal for the psi to go down after 4K because of this reason, i lived in Jersey and happened to me all the time when it was stock, because the wastegate is internal its not as strong as the external ones, thats why the psi would go up then down again.

Carl Franzene

don't overboost, or get an SSAFC and bigger injectors.

Carl Franzene

nothing to do with RPM, it just runs a very conservative tune any time you're in boost. rich = safe.

my car runs lean wen i rev it or drive then start to come to a stop i neeeed help