Smelling gas when heat is on

Asked by Dec 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM about the Nissan Juke

When I put my air or heat on I smell gas

24,035

must be a fuel leak somewhere- get it fixed, quick-

15

That little fuel leak happens to be the cause of a huge recall made by Nissan. Over 80K jukes and others have this raw gasoline strong odor. I learned on the forums that this leak is located on the high pressure injector rail. Since this engine has dual injection system, one primary, that feeds fuel during the intake stroke, and a secondary ultra high pressure and precision, this leak is tricky to find. It does not drip or wet any tubing, since the escaping fuel vaporizes instantly, just above the starter motor. I decided to disassemble the plastic intake manifold myself, also removing some of the intercooler plumbing that stays in the way. Once the manifold is removed, the high pressure sensor is right at hand. You will need a 27mm wrench to tighten it up. It seems that during the assembly process this sensor was not torqued properly, and it comes loose. Fortunately the wiring harness will prevent it from turning and coming apart completely. I read that you must replace the "O" ring, but there is none, It has an aluminum washer that makes the sealing. Just tightening it (no room for a torque wrench) will make it stop crying. Voilá, the fuel odor is gone!!! Avoid mechanics that are not aware of this situation, as the leak is almost impossible to spot. Once you have this sensor visible, you have already taken apart too many vital parts as to try to start the engine. Dealers tend to hold your car for about a week, so the best choice is to grab your tools, and do it yourself. Good luck with yours

10

Thank you for the information Mark. Didn't know there are two pressure sensor for my 2011 Nissan Juke. I attempted to remove the one on the passenger side, but unable to do it, due to it was too tight. Of course, I utilized the pressure sensor gauge. Is it difficult to remove the plastic cover above the engine? Appreciate any photos you could share if all possible. Regards jack