My 82 Westy turns on run then after awhile the battery light and the oxygen sensor comes on, any idea's of why? it has me stumped.. Thanks Ray..

Asked by Apr 22, 2015 at 07:45 AM about the Volkswagen Vanagon

Starts, heats up then the Battery and oxygen sensor comes on?

42,415

I would say your alternator is not charging properly causing the battery light to come on. When the O2 light comes on, you have to change out the sensor. If you have a volt meter, test the hot side of the alternator. Should be getting 14 volts. Shut the vehicle down, then test the battery. If not close to 12 volts, you may need a new battery.

Thanks I'll give that a try and see what happens.. Ray

145

I have a 1982 VW air coolded and have experienced the same problem. Suggest that you have your alternator checked.

145

My 1982 VW is yellow and any reputable paint shop will be able to assist you. I had my camper repainted twice. All the best.

Thanks for all the answers to my questions, here's another which is the best battery for the 1982 westy, full camper?