2003 passat warning light said stop engine low oil pressure, auto was only half quart low filled still say's same

Asked by Jul 15, 2012 at 08:23 PM about the Volkswagen Passat

I have a 2003 passat turbo bought used 6 months ago . I was driving it when the warning lamp beeped it read stop engine low oil presure. I checked oil level and it was down half a quart so i filled it to were it shoud be . I drove the auto a very short distants like just down the street and the same warning light came on stop low oil presure. What should i expect to have this issue fixed

2,765

probably and most certainly the previous owner did not give the proper maintenance to this car. you can say this VW engine suffers to clog the oil filter in the crankcase when the oil is not changed as its supposed to. You will have to take the crankcase off and clean this metal filter or better yet change it. I would recommend to check the bearings on the crankshaft and the rods for damage before you complete the job just to make sure there is no damage because of the low oil pressure. hope this helps

2,235

If the light comes on after topping the oil I would look at changing the oil pressure switch. I prefer the gauges but not all cars have them. Usually the light comes on after the damage is done. Just keep an eye on all your fluids and look for leaks and fix them. It doesn't sound like you suffered any engine damage and just had the light come on.

50

Tonight I picked up a 2001 passat 4 cyl turbo. It seemed very well maintained and drove like a champ so I only test drove it about a mile. About 3 miles into my trip home from the dealer, it said STOP, oil pressure, check your manual. I checked the oil and there wasn't even a single marking on the stick. There was an indention, and if the indention is meant for a range, then it was way too high. I took the car back for now, but how do unread the stick?

20

I changed the oil sensor but the light is still own the car is making a sound like a lawn mower

2,765

If the engine sounds you need to change the bearings or you will have the same problem forever, change the rod and crankshaft bearings and put the indicated oil to your car it will be as new after that. Like I said before it is common on vehicles without the proper maintenance to damage this bearing prematurely Proper maintenance is not using the correct oil or not the correct interval for changing oil.changing your oil earlier is not bad but too long periods is very bad.

60

I also have my oil sensor on my 2003 passat 1.8 turbo and I had changed the sensor and done an oil change but it still goes on. What else could it be. It goes on when my car has been on for 12 minutes

1,275

Using an oil that doesn't distinctly meet VW requirements in the 1.8T can result in "sludge" that plugs the oil pickup tube, causing low oil pressure. To avoid this, oil that states on its label that it meets VW specification 505.00 must be used. As for cars that have an oil pressure issue, the oil pan gets removed to clean out the oil pickup tube. If the car has been driven too much with inadequate pressure, other issues can occur, including damage to the camshaft tensioner, turbocharger-- anything requiring oil pressure to reach it.

30

Had the same issue with the stop engine light coming on, then the engine started sounding like a diesel. An hour later the engine stopped and when the cylinder compression check was done, all 4 cylinders had zero compression. The car has new brakes relatively new tires and is in good condition, however it does need a new engine. Overhauling this one would cost more than the car is worth. 30,000 miles ago brand new engine was installed by the VW dealer. Perhaps they did not replace the timing chain? Any advice?