Ignition Advice

Asked by Jul 06, 2009 at 04:57 PM about the Volkswagen Beetle

First off I will start by saying that I am in no way trying to do anything illegal and I am the furthest thing from a car guy.

That being said, my grandfather passed away 3 years ago and had an old VW Beetle (year not known at the moment) with a blown engine.  He lived in a very rural area and just left the car sitting the last place he could get it to.  Now years later, I would like to at least tow it to another part of the property where it is out of the way, until I can figure out a way to get it to a junk yard or to somebody that needs the parts.  

Anyways, I have gone through every key I could find in his house and not one will unlock the ignition.  I have no way of moving it while the steering is locked and I don't really want to invest any money in it because I will never see it run.  That being said, is there something I can do to have a key made?  Can a dealer make me a new key if I give them the VIN?

Thanks in advance...

325

Are you sure it even has a steering lock? Mine doesn't. If you legally own the car and want it moved, I would suggest getting it towed. As long as you can get a flatbed truck in front of it and get it on there you should be fine. If you did take the VIN to a dealer they would probably give you a blank look. Most dealers don't really support or carry parts for a 35+ year old car. The best thing to do would be to get a locksmith to come. If he can't make a key for you, buy some new lock barrels with keys and get them swapped over.