Bug info

Asked by May 23, 2007 at 02:08 AM about the Volkswagen Beetle

I have a 1956 VW Bug project for sale, or so I think. Everyone who comes to see it, tells me it isnt a '56, but they cant tell me what year it is. I've had it for 5 yrs. I kept it as a project car that I never got too. I know these days, everyone wants something for nothing, but its pretty bad when people find so many things wrong with this car, that by the time they're done, I owe them money. How can I find out what year it is? I got this car out of a tow yard, so there is no interior, and some minor dents and scratches.

Can someone give me some info.    Thanks   Jay

33,155

There are plenty of VW Bug forums out there with members that would be able to tell you just by looking at it what year it was. I'd take some pictures and post it in the forums, see what they say. Barring that there are books you can buy that chronicle the beetle throughout the years, that could also be useful. Maybe take a look at the library.

685

What is the serial number? Probably find inside on the rear section of the tunnel. There should also be a tag riveted inside the spare tire well under the hood. Those numbers should match and will be the production numbers.

1,705

you need the vin number off the car to see how it's registered. this number is under the back seat in the middle of the car just in front of the access panel for the shift coupler. what is the first 3 digits?? 1956 should have the oval back window. does it? or is the window large and squareish? alot of the times these cars have had the bodies replaced. what usually happened was the floors would rust out and rather than switch out the floor panels, people would go and find a good replacement pan. they would take the body off their car, and put it on a new frame (so to speak). this required having the car titled to the vin number on the frame (pan). so you will find alot of older cars (50's and such) titled as newer cars. it happens reverse also, (newer body on older pan) titled as older car

1,685

Here is a free VIN # site for Volkswagens, just follow the instruction and it will tell you exactly what the VIN entered was built with and where. Cheers! http://www.cybertects.co.uk/scirocco/vincheck.php