1986 Corvette dies while driving

5

Asked by Sep 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM about the Chevrolet Corvette

I have an '86 vette, 68000 mi., dies and won't restart until I leave the ignition switch on for
10 minutes, then starts and runs great. It has a new fuel pump and the Vats was disabled
over a decade ago by installing a resister plug, from Mid-America,  in the connection
under the steering column. It just started doing this, I don't drive the car much, it sat in the
garage for 10 months and when I drove it, this happened. ECM? Any suggestions?

34,655

If you have to leave the ignition on for 10 minutes I would lean towards the Fuel Pump connection. Just a thought.

5

checked that it's good. thanks

5

Frank's Corvettes on Louetta, Houston. My 95 had similar problem , among lots of others. Give them a try. Honest and affordable. On my 7th Vette. Last 2 handled by them exclusively

5

Thanks, What cured your problem? I'm in Dallas

5

My problem was fuel filter but your's seems different. Might be tank sediment after setting for 10 months.

5

There are lots of YouTube videos if you go online to ask. com and post your problem but be specific about your year and that it's a corvette. Don't mean to sound like 5th grade teacher. But glad to help if I can. I'll check my 95 service manual a . Let you know.

14,705

Fuel flow problems? Change out the fuel filters or clean them and see it that helps. It also may be injectors having crud and need attention. Someone had similar issues and found out the gas cap was not correct. Check it out also.

5

I just had the fuel pump replaced, 2 wks ago. When I took it back last week they double checked the pump and connections, changed the fuel filter and fuel pressure is right where it should be, the car runs great, It's just that when it sits overnight, it won't fire and you have to leave with the ignition in the on position for 10 minutes and its starts right up and drives perfect. Thanks.

14,705

Ask the dealer if it needs to be reprogrammed. I am not up on all the new programing requirement when a part is replaced that goes to the electrical systems.