can't open dead corvette with pulley in trunk?

Asked by Dec 23, 2013 at 05:03 PM about the Chevrolet Corvette

My son sent me a video that shows how to open an old corvette when the battery is
dead. I used the key, under the license plate and got the trunk open/then when I pulled
the string to open the driver's door, it only opens it a fraction, can't get in that way. It is a
soft top/but I am the mother-not great with tech stuff. I can open the gas tank, that string
works-I called AAA and they said they can't charge my car unless I can get it open,
where do I go from here?I know its not a new car/maybe 7 years old? But I can't get into
the car to get the make and model. Any help would be appreciated.

untrue, its a corvette, watched ross downing's video, how to open a corvette trunk with a key when the battery is dead (under the license plate) (on youtube)-but he shows that once in the trunk pull on the coil behind the driver's side in the trunk-that's where I have the problem, it just doesnt open the door

have you tried the ole' partially evacuated tennis ball trick, yet?

John Carson

Judge Roy. Man are you slippen. No back seats in Corvettes. Using the tennis ball trick may work, but you have damage to the locking mechanism. The latch may have too much slack in it to open the door, or it is just stuck and needs a very hard pull. To prevent damage to the car, call a lock smith.

Best Answer

thanks so much, that's exactly what I did, califcarson! The latch was too hard for me to pull, but the locksmith was able to open the door, then called AAA who charged the battery. After only 3 weeks of non use, the charging seemed extreme but that battery (brand new) was really dead. Left a message for the mechanic who put the new battery in, to see if there was a problem with the battery that it took sooo long to charge-have yet to receive his answer-but as of right now, car charged and running. Thank you-(and my son, -its his car, but he is away) thanks you as well.

John Carson

If you leave the car set, especially in the winter, you may consider a battery trickier that puts a slow charge into the battery to keep it fully charged. If your not mechanically inclined, find a friend that knows a bit abut cars to connect it to the battery. I have one in my Corvette and I don't have dead battery problems. They cost a ton less than a locksmith call. All you do is plug it into a wall socket after parking it. A new battery should not run down in three seeks of setting. Make sure all electronic stuff is turned off when you park the car. You may have some electronic device that drains the battery when parked, or a slight short that draws the juice from the battery. That can be checked really easy by hooking a battery draw tester, (amp meter) to the battery.

Philip Waid

If the key slot overr the license doesnt work then you remove the left tail light.Then connect your booster pack to the red and black wires,this will give you power,then unlock the drivers door and pop the trunk.Remember to tape the wires back properly then refit your tail light.This is for c6 vettes 2005 and newer.