Getting ready to buy a 2003 Corvette or a 2004 Corvette? Both vettes are exactly the same color, features etc and they both have 36k miles. Is one better than other, any input on if the 03 is different than the 04 and which 1 I should buy (I like them both and no I can't afford both of them) Thanks

10

Asked by Apr 08, 2013 at 01:38 AM about the Chevrolet Corvette

97,105

Check in at some Corvette forums and ask the owners.

615

03 to 04 is a carry-over year, so very little was changed. Your best bet is to flip a coin. I would personally prefer the newer one as all the bits and pieces are one year newer, but that doesn't always mean that they are in better condition.

Best Answer

http://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/..and http://forums.corvetteforum.com/ are a couple good enthusiast forums to look at like tenspeed suggested

Both only about 3,600 a year? Beware if one or the other has been in storage, because either they have been stored or driven very little. If the car was driven on Sunday sightseeing drives only, if it was driven at least once a week and driven until it was fully brought up to temperature and things like that, fine, cool. But if one or the other was just parked, and not mothballed properly that could lead to problems. Be prepared to buy tires, even if they look good with plenty of tread, a 10 year old tire may be unsafe

You ac tell the age of a tire. In the example shown DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year 07 Manufactured during 2007

10

Thank you, The 03 was a once or twice a month driver, the 04 she drove on weekends and bought a 13 so getting rid of it. As for the tires the 03 has new front and about 70% rear, the 04 has new rear and about 70% on the front. Thanks again

965

well it sounds like since theyre both pretty much identical, go for the newer one, C5's had a bunch of build quality problems...like rattling hood, leaking battery, noisy fuel pump (which got better on later C5's), and the manual gearbox was known to chatter and be hard to get into gear

Excellent answer. Especially from a 5 year old. Seriously, that is an excellent answer

5

My 2003 had 9800 miles on it when I purchased in 2011. I have driven it about 1,000 miles since with ZERO issues.

385

If you have your heart set on buying a C5, then why don't your check each car's CarFax report first to see which one looks better in that regard. Personally, I'd like to see you buy a C6 (2005 or later). They are better cars in many respects and not much more expensive. Good Luck!

pauljay, I really like what you wrote there, excellent. I always push Carfax to the point I sound like I work for them, which I of course do not, When folks ask about private party sales I tell them that the $40 is money well spent, an item that can save a car buyer a great deal of heartache. I also advise them to demand it free if it is a dealer, they get cut rates from Carfax, but a single one time carfax is $40.

965

and David u have some good answers for a fighter jet

1,555

2003 was the 50th anniversary year, which may help if you decide to resale the car. The 2003 also has a special badge that may have more resale value. The 2004 was the last year of the C5 and most will treasure that because that may come with a few more refinements. the C5 registry can give you all the ins and outs of the two different years. If all else fails, photos, CARFAX, and any other resource you can find will definitely help.

5

I own a 2003 with less than 12,000 miles, never had a problem of any kind. I'm all about low miles. Low miles and great condition = higher value.

1,555

Low m iles do equal higher value, unless you intend on keeping the car indefinitely. I recently purchased a low mile 2008 Corvette, with 29,000 on it. It looks great has great paint, interiorn and exterior, solid motor and transaxles and as usual needs tires. After I replace them she will be ready for some car shoes in the spring.

385

ParkerZ06 is not correct. Lower mileage does mean higher value when you are ready to sell the car. His reply does not address your question since both cars being considered have identical mileage. The reminder of his reply is not relevant either.

1,555

The 2004 may bring you a couple hundred dollars more on resale and if you sell it later due to it being the last year of the C5 generation. You will have more collector value in the 2003 as this was the 50th anniversary and all cars came with anniversary badging. Both being equal I would go with the 2003.

10

My 2003 50th Anniversary edition 6 speed convertible has 22k on it and just popped up with that annoying column lock bypass message which requires a fix, Luckily I found the LMC5 kit. to be honest I think for comfort and performance the C6 is a better car. If you like the flip lights better and not the C6 Lemans style then go with the C5. neither car is really practical for where I live but those vettes sure make you feel special when everyone and their mother feel like they have to nail the gas to try to race you..lol..thats respect

10

I would try to drive both cars to see which engine feels like it was broken in right. Listen for lifter noise not to be confused with fuel injector noise though. make sure you check the under carriage and make sure the transverse monoleaf is not cracked. Some guys put a jack on that to do tire rotations and crack the carbon fiber. Car faxes remember are only what is "reported" and can have false or retained info from it so you can't always trust that. The best info is your eyes and ears and if you don't have either or can't trust either bring a good mechanic or take it to one B4 purchasing.