did corvette use a steel body

Asked by Jun 14, 2007 at 08:14 PM about the Chevrolet Corvette

did corvete ever produce a steel body

32,695

No I don't think a steel body was ever produced.

60

There WAS one steel bodied Corvette made, but it was a concept- not a production vehicle. It was made for the GM Motorama in Jan. 1953 to judge public reaction- which was excellent- or there never would have been a Corvette made in the first place. It was called the EX122 Corvette. After GM green-lighted the project, the production models were made in fiberglass, and the EX122 name was dropped, calling it the Corvette. 315 cars were built in 1953

125

No Chevy never build a steel body corvette at all. I have been involved with Corvettes for over 50 years and owed my own Corvette shop in California, I have never heard of such a thing. If you need help i'm here.

215

never

35

Only a non-production one in the early years, but was never sold to the public. Used for testing! I sell Corvettes and have been involved with them for 50 years..

415

All production Corvettes have been either hand-laid fiberglass or press-molded fiberglass. Current model Corvettes are not 100-percent fiberglass, they are made from a composite material that contains stranded-fiberglass and are molded versus hand-laid..

20

Actually , in 1953, after the 1st 50 were sold to the public, customers complained about "How Hot the Hood got from the heat of the engine." GM ordered one of their drsigners to come-up with a metal hood (incase) the Heat issue became a problem. That Metal Hood was installed on Corvette production No. 057. The extreme heat never becoame a issue in the future and the Metal Hood idea was dropped. So the question .. "If a steel body was ever produced on the Corvette ? The correct answer would be... "Part" was.

30

how would you explain an all metal bodied corvette then? I just come accross one, recently sanded down to the metal, with the typical surface rust,one gets from the lack of primer on the surface. The metal body could be very clearly be seen, someone tell me how this is possible???? From everything I know, this can't be, but I seen it with my own two eyess.

535

You don't mention what year you are speaking of and it doesn't really matter but my GUESS would be that someone made a metal patch to repair some damage.

535

It was always my understanding that there was never a metal body made because of the rush they were in to get the car ready for the show. They quickly made the fiberglass body just to save time and it was such a huge hit at the show, they never considered the metal body. So the non-production metal one is news to me.

A stainless Steel corvette Body CAN be ordered form the Phillipines Forgive the spelling of "Phillipines" anyway they WILL make one for anybody with $10,000 that includes the price of shipping to the U.S. Other than that I understand that for racing purposes a total of 6 corvettes were made of steel by private individuals, but NONE for production and never any for public sales.

10

Sorry to be so late to this thread but I found this while i was looking at the possibility of a De'Loren style stainless steel body on a vette. BUT I do remember an very old kit car that sat on a C-1 chassis that was a steel body. I think it was called a victoros or victrus or something close. This was in the mid 1970's. I remember it well. Oh well.

Perry was correct in his answer about the Steel Bodied Corvette. Yes the Prototype 1953 Vette built in 1952 was a Steel Bodied Car. Corvette also prototyped the First Nomad. I have dealt with and owned Corvettes for over 50 years. (MIC)

FAKE NEWS Corvette was to be ONLY a styling exorcise. shown at the Waldorf-Astoria show. Design studies at that time weren't tooled up, too costly fiberglass was cheap and easy to destroy later So please stop spreading the BS.

20

Hey Astra_3471. No one said this was news. And you aren't in any way precise about what it is that you believe to not be factual. So use your words and tell us. Was there a 1953 non-production steel- bodied Corvette? Who are you? And why would YOU be a reliable source of information on this subject. Try to use complete sentences with punctuation so that we can clearly understand you.

1963 Chevrolet Corvette Rondine only one to ever be made with a steel body therefore one was auctioned off at 1.2 million dollars a few years back

could someone explain to me what appears to be rust all over the back of this car? please.