is it hard to replace a oil pan of an golf tdi?

35

Asked by Jan 01, 2011 at 12:03 PM about the Volkswagen Golf

my friends oil pan is damaged and leaking, and he wants to replace it. is it hard to replace it at home? do i need special tools?
i know a bit of mechanics, so maybe i can try?

thx;

you have to loosen the engine mounts, jack up the engine using a block of wood between the jack and the oil pan. place another block of wood between the engine mounts to hold the engine up when you let the jack down. make sure you use RTV sealant and allow it plenty of time to cure, otherwise you will have leaks.

2,355

What year VW is it?If it is a 9m body style( 98 and later, there was a mid year split in 98) is an easy pan to replace just be certain that the sealing surfaces are clean and use the VW sealant on the cast aluminum pans there are two bolts in by the flywheel the easiest way to get to those is with a ball tip 5 mm allen bit otherwise easy beans.

20

It is a messy job. However, pretty easy. On a 2005 golf diesel before, starting the job have a look at the new oil pan. You will see that there are four bolts at back of the pan that are only accessible through the openings at the bottom of the pan. in order to remove these bolts that are the same size as the rest of them you will need to rotate the flywheel. The flywheel has a notch to allow access to this bolts. Now, to rotate the flywheel (if your doing this alone) place the transmission in 4th gear, grab both tires with your hands and rotate them in the same direction till the notch matches the bolt your about to remove, they usually 10mm heads like the rest of them. There is two or three big bolts that go through the bell housing to the oil pan (16mm heads). Clean the matching surface of the engine block and apply sealant(silicone) generously, to the matching part of the new pan. Grab two bolts, and put the pan back in place by screwing one bolt on each side of it by hand, then proceed to install the rest of them. Tighten all of them evenly till they reach the end of their thread, starting from the center of the pan.when this has been done re-tighten all of them to their specific torque or, if you don't have a torque wrench, make sure they are tight do not overtighten them no need for that. No one would steal it!