1971

Asked by Aug 05, 2015 at 07:27 PM about the Volkswagen Super Beetle

auto stick shift vw  transmission leaking lots of fluid inside engine compartment where would it be comming from.

50

It's coming from your transmission. I can't see the damage so i don't know if you need to replace it.

86,565

That's really hard to say, it could be a cooler or cooler line, front pump seal, even seen a split converter sling oil.

not sure where it is coming from the engine compartment was full of trans fluid after driving on the freeway. Engine oil is fine but trans level has dropped. Every thing works ok. it is leaking somewhere on the front side of the engine I can't figure which side it seems to be all over.

86,565

How fast were you driving? In those years they were geared for 55 MPH.in high gear.

about 65 for 20 miles flat land no faster. had not driven a auto stick before

86,565

Most VW autostick drivers will only go 60 MPH for a sustained period of time, top speed is only 78 MPH for the autostick transmission model.

That is good to know, as the speedometer shows much higher. My neighbor suggested that the trans fluid looked like it might of come out of the breather tube and that the return line might have an issue. I may have that wrong but do you know where a return or relief line might be for the auto stick

86,565

No I don't, we never used autostick in any of the VW's we ran, but it should be obvious once you get it up in the air and look underneath.

hi it became obvious once we added more trans fluid it was the line on the pump side. it is spraying out on to the fan belt area. I found out the light that tells you there is a trans issue is not working will need to fix that I have not had a vw in over 20 years it is fun to get back and drive one...the auto stick is interesting I can see why they did not catch on....