coolant spewing out

5

Asked by Apr 09, 2009 at 10:59 PM about the Volkswagen Cabriolet

I have a 97 cab convertible.  It keeps dumping out coolant.  I have had a new radiator put in.  It doesn't get to hot, the temp gage does move up a little.  I have also gotten a new radiator cap waterpump and thermometer.  Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.... Thanks

115

ive had the same stupid problems you didnt need a new radiator though what you needed was a better fan on a toggle switch in the cab it worked for me also check the radiator cap for small leaks or if the flared ends where you attach the hoses is bent that will cause alot of problems there is also the sending unit on the side of the radiator that turns on the fan check that out also the heating core could be funky or sumthin

I just removed a toggle switch from my 92 Cabrio. The fan is controlled directly from the switch that threads into the left side of the radiator. The switch is readily available. Everything is supposed to be automatic. If you try to override the system you can never control temperature exactly. The electrical system on the cab is complicated. Get yourself a good wiring diagram and don't try to bypass any circuits. FIX THEM.

130

Use the proper thermal switch for the fan. Stay away from "buckshee" fixes like a toggle switch. Where is the car dumping coolant from? That leak is the source of your cooling woes.