92' Volkswagen Cabriolet will not start

40,015

Asked by Jun 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM about the Volkswagen Cabrio

Have a 1992 Cabriolet. Will not start. As in turn the key and nothing. Engine doesn't
turn over. Have replaced the starter, main battery cable from battery to the starter.
Battery is new, as well as all the connections. Tested battery on a load tester. Battery
is 100%. Altenator is also working fine. When key is turned, all gauges come on line,  
but engine does not turn over. I have 11.6 volts going through main battery cable to the
starter without turning the key. If I put an 18 volt engine start battery unit on the battery,
the car will start no problem. Is it the ignition module on the distributor? Can't be the
ignition swith or the starter relay because car will start with the 18 volt battery booster
with no problem.......any thoughts??

5,185

Ummm, battery itself perhaps? 11.6 volts is low in my opinion for a battery that has no real load on it, load tested or not.

40,015

I ran a wire direct from the positive on the battery to the ignition side of the starter. Solenoid would click just like turning the key. Beat starter with a hammer and started car with the 18 volt jumper. Car started as usual. Drove for a few miles, and shut car off. Car started repeatedly after that. Finally gave it back to my kid. Will see how long it goes before dying on her. It's the original starter that I brought to a rebuild shop. I think they only put on a new solenoid and nothing else. Problem is probably in the starter motor itself. I don't think they rebuilt that part.

5,185

Just buy a new starter motor then, they don't cost an arm and a leg. Personally I never have anything rebuilt without knowing what is getting replaced/overhauled and what sort of guarantee I'm getting on the rebuilt item.

105

If you fin it isn't the starter, have someone check the ignition switch in the steering wheel. Mine would start sometimes and others not at all,Did the new battery and starter and I still had problems. IE.. nothing would happen when I turned the key.

40,015

Debian, the strange thing is, if I put an 18 volt engine starter on the battery it will start every time. Never has it failed. So I don't think the ignition is the problem. I think I will have to get another starter. I had the original rebuilt, and I think they only replaced the solenoid.