1996 VW Cabrio Sputtering when I drive

5

Asked by Feb 10, 2013 at 04:49 PM about the Volkswagen Cabrio

I just replaced the plugs and wires to my 1996 VW Cabrio.  Now when I accelerate, the car sputters and the check engine light blinks on and off.   I have recently changed the fuel filter and cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

The plug seem secure.
Thanks,

Go back under the hood and make sure you got all the plug wires back where they are supposed to be ...if you get a pair crossed it will start but do what you describe, even a 4 banger will run with 2 crossed

Plan B is have your OBD codes read

96,925

I would go with David's plan B - it's probably going to be P0300

5

Thank you all. To give a bit more information. A week ago, I had replaced Plugs 1, 3 and 4. I was having trouble getting the wire off of 2, so I left it. The car ran great, best since I have had it. I tried again this weekend and was able to get the wire off and change the plug. Now it doesn't run well at all. The wires are all new and I believe in order. Just perplexed...

Well then, at the risk of stating the obvious, the problem lies in #2. Correct me if I'm wrong tenspeed I have not looked it up but P0300 is random misfire unknown cylinder. I think. But we know it's #2 eh? Did you maybe accidentally bend the tip to no gap? Look at the gap at all? Sometimes, I have seen it, a new plug in box has been smashed to 0 gap.Guessing here...

5

I took the plug out and checked the gap. It looks to me like all the wires are secure and in the right order. When I turn the car on, it idles quietly, just when I get a block away from home it starts acting up. I am able to drive it, but not a lot of fun. I did not replace the distributor cap, but I did replace all of the plugs and all of the wires. Any idea? Thank you.