Dash idiot lights and gauges malfunctioning.

150

Asked by Mar 29, 2014 at 01:45 PM about the Chrysler Town & Country

I have a 2001 Chrysler T&C van. While driving there is a beep and then the dash idiot lights will all come on at once. After about 15 seconds or so I get a 2nd beep and then the gas, speedometer, and temp guage quit and fall to zero. If it sits overnight everything will be normal in the morning. Sometimes within a block and sometimes withing 20 miles, the problem comes back.

I took it to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and the scan of codes said the voltage regulator in the alternator was bad. I put in a rebuilt alternator, NG (didn't fix it). I took it in for a transmission flush and had the control solenoid that was leaking replaced. NG again. I took the Possitive battery cable off for a few minutes, NG. I took the IOD fuse out for a few minutes, NG. I pushed in the trip odometer button for a minute or so, released it, and it ran through some codes, NG. I make sure the key is in the normal position after starting, NG. It seems possible that temperature is having something to do with this problem because it is acting up more/quicker as our Arizona temps are rising, almost April now and upper 70's & 80's.

10,795

It sounds like a bad connection on the instrument cluster? On a lot of clusters there will be a thin ribbon cable or plug in the back. if you take it out, check the connectors, wires and plugs for bad connections or shorts. There may be a grounding issue in the dash making things go haywire as well. Or it could be a bad cluster all together..

150

I will attempt to take that out tomorrow. Do I expect to find it blackened/burned or what other indication should I look for?

10,795

Electrical issues rarely show themselves. If it's an internal component, chances are there will not be any evidence unless there was a major melt down. If you said its working after it sits overnight it might be a component getting hot and making things malfunction or it could be a connection problem that occurs under vibrating conditions? These are just things I'm throwing out there. It won't hurt to remove it and clean/inspect connections.

10,795

Check out this vid. It might refer to your issue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GczhHgdUuI4

150

OK, watched the video and will go at it tomorrow. Thanks and will let you know how it is later.

150

I took the instrument cluster out and think that one terminal of the printed circuit board which connects to the plug had a crack in the solder. I touched it with a small solder iron and melted it. On driving it tonight it still has the same problem yet. It took about 14 miles before it acted up this time. Sometimes it takes 1 block to act up.

150

I now took the sliding doors tracks apart after reading someones post, and didn't find any problems with pinched, broken, or frayed wires. Someone else has mentioned the sensors on the transmission could cause a P0700 code. So I have some coming and will put them on to see if that will fix the problem.

150

I put those 2 sensors on the transmission and it didn't fix the problem.

150

Well, I took it to a recommended auto electric place. Sat from 9:30 AM to past 5 PM yesterday while the guy worked on it. He did about what I did, resoldering 13 connections of the main plug. That was an 8 hour day and no fix. Said he would keep the cluster and work on it further today, but when I got home yesterday the wife saw a dent in the rear fender that wasn't there before. Went back and got the cluster and paid $48 to get out of there. Stopped at Chrysler and he said $110 to do the codes for me, but if it isn't definitive they might need 3 more hours to come up with the answer. But no gaurantee. Wish someone would have an idea of how to get the codes read and give me the way to fix it.

150

I FIXED IT. After a lot of searching the internet and this site, I thought I had it narrowed down to the instrument cluster or the Body Control Module. Today the $99 instrument cluster came and I put it in. No problems for the first 25 miles now, so I figure I got it fixed. YIPPEE.

10

vangowont Has the problem remained fixed???? I am having the same issue?

150

Yes, I have had no further problem. I think we have put about 5,000 miles on since replacing the instrument cluster.

My 2009 T&C is doing the same thing.

150

Been fine ever since.

My 2005 T&C having flashing instrument light problems,too; then went completly blank, and not start. Will tell mechanic about your solution.