Gyrating instrument panel

Asked by Aug 04, 2010 at 11:12 PM about the Chrysler Town & Country

All lights flash, sensor messages flash, instrument needles gyrate wildly. Sometimes clears if i press gas pedal up and down quickly but not everytime. Have replaced alternator in attempt to solve this but it did not. HELP?

10

There is a PCB located at the back of the instrument panel that has a reputation for cracked or corroded solder joints. I have been pursuing a random stall/no start event that my '01 T&C is presenting and came across this as a possible cause combined with the exact symptoms you describe. I was a micro/miniture solder tech back in the day and elected to do an inspect on this PCB. It was surprisingly simple to get at, mostly some plastic covers to remove, all were screwed in. Be gentle when you get to the PCB as most components are surface mounted, too much flexing/bending the board and you'll crack components or break solder joints. Possibly a fatal event. Look closely at the solder joints for the primary connector leading to the vehicle, these are reported to be cracked. I found residual flux and some environmental sealant on various locations on the board. There also appeared to have been at some time water condensate on the board (it's open to underdash environment). Water vs electronics is never good. No smoking gun unfortunately and my problem seems to remain. Nevertheless I am monitoring to see if teh crazy light display my wife reported returns. Hope this helps.

30

my 2003 tc had a simular problem because of a bad cell in the battery. replaced battery but the electrical in the radio and dvd player and overhead electronics didn't work. my alternator output was low. the motherboard controls the alternator output. i was told to disconnect the two battery leads and touch them together and leave disconnected approx 30 minutes. i reconnected the battery. this action re-initionalizes the pcm(motherboard). anyway all my system vitals returned to normal. pre-2003 might have problem resetting the anti-theft radio situation. bill wells. wwells24@cox.net. let me know if this helps.