Engine will not turn over?

120

Asked by Sep 07, 2013 at 10:40 PM about the Chrysler PT Cruiser

My 2008 pt would start up and then die about 2 seconds after starting. I pulled the spark
plugs and found that they need to be replaced, however, when I tried to turn the motor
over to check the spark, nothing happens. The motor will not turn over when you turn the
key. What would cause the motor to stop turning over when a spark plug is pulled? Even
after reconnecting the plug and wire the motor will not turn! Any input here?

7,805

the security has been activated. Does your vehc. use the gray headed key? do you have a key fob? try unlocking doors with it. Security will allow it to try to start 2 times, then it locks it down. Its poss the antenna for the security key has gone bad. the antenna activates the security key. Try disconnecting batt. and retry to start. If it does start. keep the tools nessary to pull bat. term in car. You will have to take vehc. to dealer to have the skim module replaced, if this is the problem.

120

It does have a key fob on the key, however, my wife took that key with her so I was using the spare key which does not have a key fob. She had driven the car home and parked it. She mentioned it had been sputtering at times throughout the day. I figured it needs new spark plugs but wanted to drive it first to see for myself what she was experiencing. When I started it up it would run for a few seconds and then shut off. I tried this several times. Sometimes it would start up (and then die) and other times it would just crank and crank. I then pulled the plugs to inspect, but when I tried turning the motor over to check the spark it does nothing....

7,805

is her key gray headed and is yours as well.Does ck eng light come on?

120

No check engine light. Pretty sure it was the key. It's black. I used her key ( the one I was using was a copy made at home depot). I also changed the plugs and wires. Runs fine now. I had no idea the key would make any difference

7,805

Glad I could help

120

I really appreciate it buddy, thank you for the input...cars are so weird these days

120

What is the difference between grey and black key fobs?

7,805

the gray head key has a transponder in it. It deactivates the security.

7,805

When you say fob, are you talking abt. the remote or the keyhead?As some remotes are also gray.

120

Key head

7,805

you will have to get one with the gray head. then dealer has to train it

210

my pt crusier wont even turn over and i have the grey key but when i turn the key over theres a red little light that comes on then the check engine light blinks wats wrong

My pt cruiser is running hot and Will not stay cranked the check engine light is on and it blinks and makes a dinging noise. Can anyone help me with this please

any one know what to do if a key is lost? Do they have a replacement at Chrysler..mine has the same prob you guys are taking about..sputtered, new batter, new sparks, flushed system..still broken..wont turn over, and it drained battery

10

Tried starting or cruise with grey key from Dealer and original key for car, key turns and dash lights come on but car wouldn't crack or any thing else. Should I just go to the dealership

My 2007 PT Cruiser will crank but won't start what could be wrong with it it was fine yesterday and woke up this morning and it won't start