my car according to vin is a 2013 but the dealer keep insits that it is a 2015 because first registration is feb 2015 is that right

Asked by May 09, 2015 at 02:56 PM about the Kia Sportage

I bought this vehicle as a late 2014 model, but the model I got production was stopped and feb 2014 the new production came out with a face lift, front and back, the wheels is also different. The car is rusted in the engine bay, the body underneath is rusted, there is scratches and paint chips. When I first contact the dealer and obtain a offer to purchase she gave me a price on an automatic Sportage and a different colour, the following week she send me different photo's of a CRDI man but the price stayed the same I don't know what to do, they want to fix the rust on this car. Can you please give advise

If a VIN check says it's a 2013 then it IS. They are wanting to pawn off a 2 year old car as a 2015 because it sat unsold. First registration does not make it a '15 Usually they don't keep unsold inventory that long. Something is really fishy here... What does the registration say as year? Not date first sold...there should be both on reg.

Let me have the VIN and I will run it.

25,235

In my opinion, the VIN# would correspond to the actual build date of the car. But it sounds like all of this is irrelevant if you've got rust in the engine bay and the underbody + paint chipping away?? For a 2013 or 2014, that sounds really fishy to me! I would seek out a lawyer, as you might have been sold a flood vehicle.

And RUST all over? Was it sold to you as new? Lots of States have lemon laws and rust will be a defect.

Hiya RacerX. Been a while. You do know who I am right?

25,235

Hey FordNut! Yes I do know who you are (I won't reveal your secret identity on here though! LOL!). Seems like we're short a few "gurus"..as crazy as Judge Roy was...at least he was on here consistently. You'll see me on here on a more or less regular basis, but I won't be answering questions that folks can just Google themselves!

Hi man. This one really smells bad...eh? Good point about flood car, didn't think of that. On a 2 year old car.

Sometimes that's what leads people here...Google it and CarGurus is on the list of answers

25,235

After Hurricane Sandy a few years back, there was a MAJOR problem in my area (NJ) with Car Dealers trying to pawn off Flood Vehicles as regular used cars with clean titles after they cleaned up the cars a bit! VERY scary!

63,295

Speaking of flood vehicles and Hurricane Sandy, NJ DMV had a link on their website where you could run any VIN to see if a flood insurance claim was made on it. You could check any VIN no matter how old. I don't know if the link is still up but it might be worth a look. As far as model year designation goes the VIN is the last word. Whatever it says is the legal model year of the vehicle. I smell a scam with this poor poster. Time for them to contact a lawyer. HTH. -Jim