dash light indicators on

Asked by May 09, 2012 at 07:25 PM about the BMW 5 Series

i have a 2003 bmw 330xi i just replaced the alternator due to it dyeing on me, charged the battery and drove it to
work everything ran fine no indicator lights minus the battery because it was running straight off of it, after the
alternator was replaced the brake indicator light on dash including the stability control light was on. parked the car
and when i left to go home the lights were off but the service engine soon indicator was on with a ems light, any
ideas what went wrong

3,295

Did you disconnect the ground from your battery already? Try that. It works like a reset most of the time. Otherwise you may have to have the codes cleared with a scan tool.

no i havent but i will try that thank you.

3,295

Anytime. Let me know if it works.

Driving the car with lower tan specified voltage will set codes in most of the cars computer systems. You need to have all the cars computers scanned and cleared. This is more than an OBD2 scanner can do. Find someone in your area that has a BMW specific scanner that can quick test and quick clear all the systems. This should not cost very much. Disconnecting the battery will not clear the codes but will set more. The warning lights may go out but numerous failures will be stored. You want your fault memory clear so that if you have a concern with any area of your car in the future the failure is not confused with the failures you have set during your alternator failure.

3,295

Good call.

2,925

Many cars have internal memory so they wont clear unless you do it with the proper tool. There are some obd tools that support BMW automobiles like the Launch systems, it doesn't have to be a BMW original equipment, and if you remove the battery it would cause more codes.

2,125

While we are on the topic of OBDII scanners. I recently come across an Android app called Torque ($4.95). It can be used in conjunction with any OBD bluetooth connector (typically $24) to obtain and clear any power train specific fault codes (with descriptions), even pending ones, in our cars. This app is also capable of real time logging with gps geo-tagging of any parameters available through your cars OBD port, it is quite quite a lot of fun to watch on the fly. Since most of us have smartphones and older cars, I thought this is an inexpensive way to monitor our cars' health.