I would like to tow my 1969 Chevy CK four wheel drive. Is it safe to assume with the front hubs disengaged, the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in neutral I am safe to travel? I don't want to burn anything up due to lack of lubrication.Thanks,Clay

10

Asked by Dec 02, 2014 at 10:09 AM about the Chevrolet C/K 10

7,255

is it all time four wheel drive

35

the best and safest way to tow your truck is to either put it on a full car trailer not a tow dolly or just hire a flatbed. that's what I would do most likely just rent a full car trailer and tow to destination.

Best Answer
10

No, to employ the 4 wheel drive I have the task of getting out to the front hubs and rotating, to lock in the front axle; then engage the transfer case in to 4 high or 4 low. Clay

10

The question comes up because I'd like to tow this behind my motor home when I go out for a trip. To have the trailer around has presented a problem. Park Rangers towed the trailer last time as I left it just outside the campground! The spare truck is not the problem just finding a place to stash the trailer while out fiddling in the pickup. So the notion of just towing the pick up comes up. Thanks, Clay

7,600

The output of the t-case needs its bearings lubed if you leave the driveshaft in. The pump does not take up fluid through the sump tube unless the chain turns. Any tow truck driver will tell you use a dolly, ramp truck, or remove the shafts that turn when the wheels are running. They even remove those that are questionable to avoid blame being placed on them for failed powertrain parts. These accusations have raised the cost of towing labor and insurance over the years.

5,035

If you can't resolve the issue with the front hubs, there's always the tow dolly you can put the front part of your pickup on. Dolly takes up a whole lot less space than a full trailer.

7,600

When you pull a tow vehicle with an RV coach, the dirt skirt below the RV's rear bumper should be adequate, and or protect the windshield from stone blasting. The driveshaft could have a coupler installed, but it is just 4 bolts and some tape needed when removing it. and some spray paint would be good for indicating the spline, of course. so you dont make a "humper."

148,595

Suggestion..? If it is in your budget at all, get a Jeep Liberty. They can be safely towed 4 wheels down, and RV magazine rates it the best vehicle to do so. No more headaches with trailers or anything.

7,600

Thinkin longbed of course.

7,600

A jeep? Then he would have a new plethora. This guy wants to go fiddlin with his 69 C/K 4x4.

148,595

For a list of 'dingy' vehicles, 4 wheels on ground see http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

148,595

Point taken Dannyl. Just thrown' out thoughts....

10

Thanks for the help everyone. As I look at the exploded view on this transfer case I don't see any chains nor pump in there. Could it be the output shaft rest idle if the front hubs are disengaged and the transmission is in neutral? Clay

5,035

I guess you could make sure the front hubs are disengaged, lift the front of your truck and manually spin the wheels and see if anything turns or hear anything you shouldn't. :)

10

Darn simple suggestion, but of course!. Floor jack and jack stands. I do it this weekend. Thanks, ytlas I am signing off for the day. Later

5,035

Sometimes we all look too far and can't see what's right in front of us. Good luck

7,600

The output shafts have to be turned by the splines they share with their companion flanges. They have to be supported by bearings. If there was no chain, there would have to be a gear between the gears of the two but the front one would turn the front diff pinion conterclockwise when viewed from the front driveshaft's forward end. They did not break down in my time on the bench and some of those books had already turned to dust. But removing the shaft is what the tow truck guy does. K.I.S.S. as DW always says.

10

I have sense acquired an owners manual. It seems rather adamant that the truck, this four wheel drive truck, not be towed faster than 35 MPH or more than 50 miles. "With the hubs unlocked, transfer case in 2 H and the transmission in neutral." I'll will then drop both front and rear drive shafts at the universals. Thanks for the help and each of your opinions and insights. Clay

7,600

Right, thats very specifically saying there would be no lube at the output shaft bearings. That is why the tow people bring them to the shop with the shafts removed and I have had to put them back in quite often.