Beeping in Reverse

35

Asked by Aug 02, 2008 at 11:05 PM about the Toyota Prius

Does the loud beeping when in reverse drive you as crazy as it drives me crazy (and my family?)  Can it be un-installed?

their should be a plugin at rear or on transmission that controls this,even tho it i a safty issue from the factory you should be able to disarm it.

315

dont listen to the guy talking about a plug on the transmission. there isnt one and if you mess with the wrong thing you can get seriously hurt from the high voltage wires. you should go to a toyota dealer and ask them if it can be disabled

75

IT is probably the backup camera. If you have one. You should go to the Toyota dealer and ask them what it is. Not all Priuses have backup cameras.

405

Here are a few sites that tell or show you how to disable this feature: http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Reverse-Beep-in-a-Toyota-Prius http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=de7caf29071434c2aa9d Sure, you can also have the dealer do it. But where is the fun in that? and it will cost you a bundle. Good luck

I have got a Toyota Prius 2009 in France and the step by step instructions don't work unhappily for french cars; but... the instructions for disable the seat belt beep does work; so, is there anybody who could give me an other step by step instructions in order to disable this crazy reverse beep !... many thanks for your help

Unfortunately, if you're car is anywhere but North America, the fix provided in the link in the previous post from wiki, will not work. For whatever reason, they have only allowed it to work in the North American cars. Strange! I haven't tried the fix from Wiki yet, but plan to try it today. The beeping sound makes me nuts!

The beeping is a danger feature - it does not tell outsiders that you are backing up, as do the big trucks with this feature, and the only person it tells that the car is in reverse is the driver - who already knows! All the beep does is distract the driver, and this is very dangerous. NHTSA should ban this feature, not promote it. The other stinker in the Prius is the fact that you have to fool with a touch screen to control temperature, fan speed, etc. and I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD, duh. The final stinker is that the Prius turns on "recirculated air" automatically. I hate this, because if I want recirculated air (which is never) I want to control that myself. Does it make sense for a car to do something you did not tell it to do? Waah, waahh, waaahhh crybaby. Toyota does not give a flying furbelow about safety. Otherwise, the Prius and the Chevy Volt are is the only reasonable choices for a car. Other cars are for people who compensate for their feelings of inadequacy by burning lots of gasoline - and the children who die in wars for cheap U.S. gasoline.