Just purchased a 1975 datsun 620 that hasn't run in 8years .Still won't ??""

Asked by Feb 19, 2013 at 05:40 PM about the Datsun 620 Pick-Up

The previous owner had never finished the pickup.They replaced the  3 speed transmission with a four speed ,but never got the engine running. I have it running now but The transmission will shift into all positions, but won't  after I start the engine .It's locked out of shifting into gear ??!! .  I see two electrical wires at the back of the transmission. Is THAT SOME LOCKOUT that has to go to the Clutch ?? help !!

90,095

My guess is that the two wires are for the reverse lamps. If the clutch is completely releasing, it should go into gear. Does it grind when trying to put it into gear with the engine running?

Best Answer
30

Try starting it with it in gear but be sure the car is clear of obstructions so it can lurch forward if the clutch does not release. You may have a clutch problem, not a shifting problem.

90,095

Having the rear axle on jack stands would be a good thing for that starting in gear experiment. Everyone off to the side and one hand on the key.