Battery was grounded accidentally while running. Are there special protections that stop the damage in the wireing

Asked by Oct 31, 2014 at 03:20 PM about the Mercury Marquis

2001

6,775

their shouldn't be that much damage if it wasn't grounded for that long like if it just sparked and you moved the wire away it should be fine

Best Answer

I'm on my husband's page. He was using a pair of vice grips to hold a split post on the hot side of batt. Was only maybe a minute. But melted c grips to hood where it touched

about one inch piece of wwire over finderwell burnt and dropped. Burnt hole thru finder well But no other real visual damage. Maybe one of fuses I could tell looked blown/dark inside..but what I think are relays..square and gold ..near the fuses..All look ok

Battery only 5 months old. Guess will take and have checked. .but looks ok

6,775

don't feel bad one of my cars is positive ground and I do a continuous battery jump so I reverse the positive and negative every once in a while

If I can figure out how to replace wire myself. What chance do I have of messing up more..if..I try to crank it..and there is other danger.

I'm in Highlands texas..don't know the area..are would hire someone to fix it

Thank you for easing my mind some crumbob