My 2004 Land Rover Discovery II is making knocking noises

50

Asked by Dec 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM about the Land Rover Discovery Series II

did anyone ever look at the oil level...go in for an oil change or pay attention to oil pressure?....ever?~ hate to affix the blame game and try to go thinner to solve the problem....but as we'd do with the Ford Escorts with valve tapping problems....MOTOR HONEY....disadvantaged as this sounds will make it simulate the knocking to not be there~

50

Thank you for your response. They did the oil change and it seems to be a loud knocking noise. I took it back and they added Lucas. How long until the noise stops or quiet's or is there something major wrong with the engine its self?

yes...worn bearings...will happen if the engine is run without coolant for a spell, or has very high mileage on it...or NEVER had the oil changed...or coolant changed....is a matter of proper maintenance usually~ STP is one that we'd use at the station to 'quiet' the valve train~ motor honey is a last ditch effort to quiet the thing prior to selling it (decietful, but it's USED now)~

50

Thanks, yeah it has over 118000 miles, its had issues wilth coolant leaks and over heating. Im the second owner I got it at 64000, and ended up at the same rover shop as the previous owner by chance so they had some history on it. They mentioned head issues at one point, but so far ive been dealing with oil leaks and they have recently been fixed now the taping/ knocking..... UGH!!!!!

might be a loose bearing cap...would really need to take a listen with a stethoscope to pinpoint which bearing or cam connection is belly-achin'~

60

I have a 2004 Discovery that started making a ticking noise with the engine warm, never cold. The noise goes away when I accelerate past 1200 RPM. I tried everything I read online, engine flush, oil honey, Marvel's mystery oil, Reslon, synthetic oils, etc. Noise did not go away, some day when the noise was at its loudest, I removed the oil cap to see if the noise was louder inside the valve covers and immediately upon removal of the oil cap I heard a hiss like noise as if the engine was pressurized and the ticking noise stopped on the spot. I tried couple more times and the effect is the same, ticking stops immediately upon release of the apparent pressure when the oil cap is removed.

Yes sounds to me maybe building crank case pressure , sorry thinking out loud I am having problems with my 04 myself