Should I buy this vehicle

Tphilip
0

Asked by May 07, 2013 at 09:32 PM about the Land Rover Discovery

I am looking for a used vehicle to get me and my 2 kids around and run errands. I came across a 1997 Land Rover Discovery SE with 150,000 miles on it, the seller is saying the truck needs a tune up but I think the price is to low for this vehicle..... The vehicle looks good on the exterior, I need advice on the vehicle, the seller has not disclosed any problems about this vehicle.... The seller is asking 1800 or best offer I think this vehicle doesnt have an engine or the transmission is going bad what do you think...

24,675

my advice would be no dont buy it. It will give you nothig but problems. I personally dont like them some poeple love them. But that is high mileage and it is 16 years old it would be expected to have problems with any vehicle of that age and mileage.

Racer_X
23,395

How about a BIG Hell NO! Land Rovers are major moneypits...Spend your hard earned $$ elsewhere.

87,065

I dropped a few links about teenage drivers and what vehicles to consider in this discussion earlier today -- http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-ds546201

Lars Cats
4,675

Most Americans will tell you not to buy one, due to the "poor availability of spare parts and high costs", whereas I have never had any problems with either issue. Admittedly I do my own maintenance, and the only time a dealer sees my car is when I drive past a dealership on my travels. As long as you know your way around a tool set, know where to get spares cheaper than at the dealer and you don't mind getting a little dirty every now and then they are no less reliable or more expensive than any other car. But that's just my opinion based on my own experiences here in Europe...

sbburchfield01
85

I would def recommend this vehicle for family commuting and travel. But i wold not recommend this vehicle if you are looking for something with high mpg. These vehicles only get about 13-14 mpg in the city and 16-17 on the highway. They also can be costly to maintenance due to being a foreign make and a lot of dealerships do not work on them! I have own two discoveries personally and absolutely loved them. Its just whatever your preference is!