LR4 Cylindrical object left underside, what is it for?

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 12:41 PM about the Land Rover Discovery

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering what the cylindrical metal object is for under the left side of my
2010 LR4 (see picture). Its only on the left side and extends for as long as the drivers
door. (German LR4, left side is driver). Its attached to the chassis but its hollow, looks
like a storage tank for something.
There are no stickers on it and doesn't say in the handbook either.

Incase you need to know its the 3.0 TDV6, HSE, with air suspension
Anybody know?

Thanks

what's it connected to? very well could be a vacuum accumulator, it'd be connected tho~

or pressure accumulator for your air suspension...you'd know if you took a gander at it's plumbing~

92,065

I would guess that it's a air pressure accumulator too. There may be some piping at the rear or inside the cabin on the top.

Thank you for answering. I was thinking something for the air suspension. The reason i asked was because I just got my tires exchanges and the shop had a car lifting thing. They placed rubber cubes on each corner of the chassis to lift the car. However on the front left they placed it under that tank. Not under the chassis. Now the air suspension is being weird. Its not going up, thinks it in off road height but its in access height where i put it down to to test.

Well something isn't right with the system. Im assuming, if it is the air tank for the suspension that something was ruptured and now it doesn't have pressure. I know for a fact that 1/4 the weight of the car is not supposed to be held by that cylindrical thing. Thats what the chassis is for.

tenspeed, there is a single about 5mm in diameter cable / hose coming out the other end.

4,805

That would be the accumulator for the air suspension, if this is leaking or otherwise damaged you will get problems with your suspension. A leaking accumulator will put higher demands on the air pump which will end in premature pump failure. It shouldn't have such a major effect on the ride height though, it sounds more like the pump has failed or that one or more of the ride height sensors is messed up.

When I first tested the suspension once I was home, where I noticed something was weird, I saw quite some liquid dripping down from under the car. about 4cm further into the centerline of the car parallel to the tank. I presumed it was the aircon. Could it have been a leak in the system, damage from the lifting? The rear left block was partly placed under the shielding for the air compressor. How far can this shielding be pressed in before causing damage? Maybe one third of the block was under the compressor

Second pic

oil? hydraulic fluid? water?

No idea, didnt check, certainly wasnt able to smell it. Thought maybe the location was enough. But it wasnt a thick fluid, which is why I thought air con. Then again I dont know what type of fluid is in the accumulator.

that would be hydraulic oil then--sounds like a curious arrangement should investigate how to refill for the loss of the fluid, should be an owners manual somewhere in that thing~

If your having problems with your air suspension most common issue is a blocked filter for your air compressor located in the back cargo area easy to remove and clean