Frequency of changing transmission oil

Asked by Jun 01, 2012 at 12:49 AM about the Toyota Fortuner

I have a 2010 Toyota Fortuner manual transmission with a total mileage of 18642 miles. Daily on a regular
basis I drive 13 to 15 miles, I was told by a friend that I needed to change the Gear oil when reaching
10000 miles. So I would like to know the recommended interval of changing this oil, I tried searching it on
the manual but it just say "go to your Toyota dealer" which I think is the best option but also it would be a
great idea if I would be able to do it on my own to save time and money. And isn't it a great thing that you
can maintain your own car? Thanks in advance!

246,645

You'll hear different opinions on the change frequency of the manual transmission gear oil. But 60-100K is usually recommended for most vehicles. I'd go with 100K. You got a while to go with only 18K on the vehicle.

Thanks Tom, I will take your advice. I'd probably change it when it reaches 60k on the Odometer.

Hi Tom, before you reach 60-100K, do you need to top it up? Is it advisable to add fluid if its running low or under level line?