what is the use of over drive(OD ) and electronic control of transmission?( ECT )

Asked by Dec 22, 2014 at 07:43 AM about the Toyota Hiace

thers a button switch at the dash board which says ECT and at the shifting lever which says OD? what is the use of this buttons?

11,115

The OD button will disable the overdrive feature on the transmission. The ECT, from what I understand, alters the shift pattern and makes the transmission shift later which will give the engine more time to gain RPM. This mode will decrease gas mileage, but provide more torque for towing, hilly terrain, etc..