I have a 2003 Ford Taurus it recently got hot and shut down. It also broke the Serpentine belt going to the water pump. It also put the gas switch off in the trunk. Where do I start?

Asked by Aug 22, 2015 at 08:44 AM about the Ford Taunus

I reset the gas switch and
the fuel pump is not
kicking in when I turn the
key on. How do I get the
fuel pump to work?

I think you may have more problems then just a faulty fuel pump, if an engine get hot enough to shut down engine damage is very likely. When you crank over the engine does it sound smooth or does it have an irregular sound? On the fuel pump you need to check for voltage at the pump when you first turn on the key, it will only last a few seconds then turn off, if you get voltage then the fuel pump is most likely bad, if no voltage then check the inertia switch and plug, the connector has a tendency to burn out, if that checks good then on to the relay and wiring. These engines tend to blow head gaskets when they get hot, so when you do get it running watch for coolant consumption and white smoke coming out the tail pipe.